simple question about support tools

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by lifeisshortmove, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

I have a little problem with support tools such as dcdiag, netdom, replmon, ...etc. I can run them ONLY by going to the folder where they were installed. I cannot run them directly from command prompt. Is it possible to run them without going to the installation folder?

Thanks in advance

2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

you could add the path to that folder to PATH system variable. should work. example:
    How to set the path in Windows 2000 / Windows XP.

3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Damn Nyx - just about the type the same thing! :D

Environmental Variable - eg. mine says
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

Thanks a lot for your reply

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't like sodding around with environment variables (never had). I much prefer to add the command prompt to the folder I install all my tools to.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Command prompt here is useful for when switching between GUI and command line, doesn't really help with using commands in any directory whilst in a command shell.

Setting the PATH environment variable is the best solution. Setting environment variables is pretty standard stuff on both Windows and Unix.