Simple DNS question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Howie, May 10, 2005.

1. Howie

Howie New Member

Can anyone help me? I am getting a little confused whilst learning about DNS servers. The Domain Name System is a distributed batabase that is the default naming system for IP-based networks. If a server is set up as a DNS server does it need to communicate with other servers on the internet to get an up-to-date copy of a DNS database? Or does it just hold information about a local network? Or does it query other database when needed? Sorry to sound so thick... :(

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Depends on what the DNS server is being used for

if its for your LAN, then no it doesnt really need access to another one, although you may want to set up forwarders so that any domain not handled by that server is passed upstream to an ISP dns server or something, otherwise users will only be able to resolve zones(domains) handled by your dns server

DNS servers dont generally store every zone, they store thier own, and know where to look for others based on the heierachial design
    if all fails you query a root server (.) which knows the location of the (com.) (net.) etc TLDs
    they in turn know the location of the microsoft.com. dns server which can point you to the host www.microsoft.com. (notice the trailing . its important in DNS)

think of it as I dont know the way to an address in birmingham, but i know the way to the m25, it knows the way to birmingham, and birmingham knows the way to the birmingham motorcycle museum

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Howie

Howie New Member

Thanks Ryan.

I was getting myself really confused. I did learn about DNS a few years ago, but I guess I never grasped it properly back then. In just reading your small reply it seems much clearer now... Ever thought of writing a book? :biggrin

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually, sometimes
    i never thought I had the nack for explaining technical stuff in a plain manner though hehe

oh, and i hate writing :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0