Silly thing I've been asked to sort out

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by stutheview, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi,

I've just had to sort out the boss's PC.

Him: You've got to sort out my computer it's broken.
    Me: What's wrong?
    Him: It just won't start it's got a blank screen. Nothing works. How am I going to check my email?
    Me: Are the power cables in? Is everything on?
    Him: Yes, yes, I've not touched anything. It's urgent.
    Me: Okay, let's have a look.

I go over have a look at the LEDs, see that the base is on, but the screen light is off. I turn the screen on and it works.

Him: How did you do that?
    Me: I turned the screen on.
    Him: Oh... right... Thanks.

This is the chap who complained that his printer wouldn't work with no paper. He got himself a new phone for his office and complained that it didn't work, I plugged it in to the socket on the wall and... it worked! :rolleyes:

He's a nice bloke, but just a bit of a technophobe.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this sort of thing happen to them, and what's the silliest thing you've had to "fix".

Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thats users for u mate :D

I've had users trying to print to a printer that wasn't connected after an office move before and people trying to power off a TFT by pressing and holding the power button in for 30 seconds.

Great fun, u gotta laugh.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

well nothing beats:

- my email is not working !!!!!!!! I can't type anything!!
    - well that how it looks like when you'r trying to type white font on white background.

personally I love working in IT but I hate that there are users involved ;)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. Raider

Raider Bit Poster

Hey chaps

the one i am gonna tell ya is going to be the best stupid thing ever...

once a chap spent hours trying to find the "any key" on his keyboard (as there is no key labelled 'any key') when he was asked to press any key during a program....:blink

how's that..

5. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Ever had the one where a user tries to install a bit of software on his personal laptop only to sit there waiting at the Hit Enter When Ready screen cos he dosnt know when the machine is ready... :blink

Best quote ive heard is that a network always works until you put users onto it.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Had a manager I was going to train on how to use her new computer, get her company e-mail, etc. She was an older lady, hadn't ever had a computer before, so I figured I'd be setting it all up for her. To my surprise, it was unboxed and all cabled up by the time I got there. And cabled correctly... except...

...the mouse was on the floor. She thought it would work like a sewing machine pedal! :ohmy :blink :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

LOL ???

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I once got a support call from a fellow who said that his CD player wouldn't play a training CD he was supposed to review. I went to his office, took the disk out of the CD drive, turned it over and saw that it had several deep grooves carved in it. I showed it to him as the explanation and he turned a proper shade of red. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I once had a guy who i simply could not explain the concept of the space bar to him (geographically or functionally), whilst trying to get him to enter a command. I was trying to get his IP and was using the last resort of ipconfig, since the easier options had failed. After 5 mins, I passed it off to the 2nd line team.

I've also had people call to complain that they cant burn CDs on their machine, only for it to turn out that they didnt have cd burners.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol. These are ggggggreat.

I had a user call me once, and she was quite, quite irate. She wanted to know why, after working on her PC, I'd deleted her Start menu. She'd put it on auto-hide. Delicious.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

User: OHMYGOD! The internet is down! :ohmy
    Me: oh, really? :rolleyes:

:biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I was 14 I had an advert in the paper as I was selling my Atari ST

The first and only people who came were a Scottish Couple who said they were going to buy it for their son.

I had it all set up on the Big TV in the from room and the first thing the Woman said was "Do we need a TV"

I said to them "well yes, you wont be able to see what your doing if you havent got one"

She then said "can we buy yours" Obviousley my parents said no.

She then said she would buy one from Curry's on the way home, they did give me £100 for the ST which enable me to buy my Super Famicom so I was more than happy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Had a beaut sent to me by my brother last week. He works in Australia for a major investment bank (Videoconferencing and AV), alongside the network bods. Somebody had a problem with Internet access (one of the Traders) and he sent them a mail saying 'My netowkr is down' - copying in the entire trading floor. Five minutes later another mail, from another saying 'Yes - my network is down too. When will it be fixed?'

How the f*** is 'your network' down if you're managing to send email to the service desk?

Users=Scum

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. BosonMichael

Did you try rebooting the Internet? :p
    Is the Internet plugged in? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

Everyone on the service desk should have said that they didn't know there was any problem, because they didn't get the e-mail saying that the network is down... because... the network was down. :twisted:

16. Arroryn

Have you ever seen the shoe on the other foot? Techs knowingly duping users?

A company we refitted recently, they had an 'independent' tech guy who did their support and installations. The entire office complained about their internet connection being slow. I think someone possibly made the mistake of saying it was always around lunchtime and throughout the afternoon.

Their tech told them, it was because Americans had woken up and turned on their PCs, and they were stealing all the bandwidth. Damn Americans. :twisted:

17. BosonMichael

But that's not duping users... that's telling them the truth. :usa

18. Arroryn

lol. On behalf of the UK, I'm going to kick your a$$, as the representative for the States :duel

And now... back to topic. lol.

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been told that before, another conspiracy theory dont you just love em :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I once got a call from a guy claiming his usb mouse did not work. This was strange because I tested it and it worked fine.
    It turned out he had plugged it in.... the RJ45 socket.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP