Sigh. Will Code for Cash!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fergal1982, May 19, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Gods, why is it so difficult to get a decent job eh?

Been looking for the past few months, for jobs in Edinburgh or Aberdeen for a .Net Developer. The only jobs available are looking for people with gobs of experience.

I keep harassing the guys at work for a job, but the fact is that they dont have a position to offer, so cant give me one.

I went to two interviews this week, one in Dundee, and the other in Aberdeen. The first was an ASP.Net developer (which may actually make an offer) and the other was applications support for legacy systems (Very little .Net systems, and it doesnt look like theres much actual development in the Job).

Unfortunately theres a couple of factors that may mean I cant take the Dundee job (That commute for a start.).

All I want is a Junior Development position within Aberdeen (Preferably) or Edinburgh. Is that too much to ask? it seems so!

Sigh

Anyone got a Development job going? On the flipside, if anyone has any applications they would like made up, just let me know. Anything I can do to bolster my CV is always a good thing.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow... employers are crawling all over each other to try to get coders here in the US, including entry-level ones. At one point a couple of years ago, I started (re-)learning how to program (in something more advanced than BASIC - hah!) just because of the job opportunities out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sometimes a commute is an unfortunate necessity :(

I don't know what kind of travel hours you're talking about Fergal; I do a 3 hour round trip to Birmingham and back for my first line job. My other half does about 3 and a half/four to commute Northampton to Birmingham and back for his design job. Needless to say, we're looking at moving to Birmingham :rolleyes:

Just keep plugging away; you'll find something if you have the skills and the determination.

On the side talk about a little moonlight developing, I may need a little 'calculator' putting together; but I need to figure out all the variables myself first. PM is being put together.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Fergal1982

THink they would take a developer working from home in the UK??? :biggrin

This particular commute would be about 2 hours each way. I think it would kill me and i dont particularly want to move to the city in question (Dundee).

They haven made me an offer yet, so its a little moot, but its certainly something i would have to give a lot of consideration to.

As far as the code is concerned. Im more than happy to see what I can do. send the PM away when you are ready

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No idea... most of them want someone local (most have been badly burnt by outsourcing), but it couldn't hurt to look around.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Move to Glasgow, loads of jobs here for developers :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Because there are BSer's out there who are taking the decent jobs.

Its not what you know its what you can get away lieing about :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Sparky

Eh? I think you will find it’s because IT is competitive and it is very difficult to land a good job, especially if you have little commercial experience.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As I said there are BSer's out there that will hype themselves up and some employer's will fall for the hype. Thus the people with the real talent are left looking for work and getting frustrated. It happens in all sectors not just IT.

I have worked with people before and they don't have a clue what they are doing because they've BSed their way into a job.

10. Sparky

Yeah, I work with a few BSer’s so I do know what you mean.

But I don’t think that really stops someone who has the ability getting a job in IT. Its a competitive industry so its not easy landing that ‘dream’ job.

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ever thought of going self-employed for the coding?

12. Fergal1982

Im not that good for coding. To be honest I need a Junior level position where they are perfectly aware that I will need training.

Even when I'm coding on my own it takes me a while, as I have to research techniques and technologies online, etc, before I can do anything. For instance, I created an App using Socketing for network communication, and Multithreading to stop the app freezing. Had never even heard of them before so it took a while for me to find examples and understand how things worked (Im still no expert, but i can use the technique).

13. Sparky

I take it that question was aimed at Fergal? :biggrin

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yeah sorry, do you mind changing your name to Fergal, for a while? :D

15. Sparky

Have you ever considered writing software for small businesses? Thats how I started out before moving into IT support.

16. Fergal1982

I could do that I suppose. Although its getting my foot in that would be a problem. And I would need to be doing it in my spare time.

17. Sparky

Well, I didnt say it would be easy :biggrin

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Wear some steel toe capped boots, no way they can close the door then :D

19. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hey! fergal......have you seen this site www.rentacoder.com
    I haven't used it yet but you might get some extra cash and build up a good portfolio to out smart them bser's?????

Let me know what you think?

Certifications: CIW Professional
  20. Fergal1982

hmm. I'd actually heard of that site before, but never actually visited it.

It looks interesting, although a quick search didnt throw up any projects I felt happy to have bid on.

That said I might need to keep an eye on it.

Thanks