sick pc!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Jul 23, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi people i bought myself 4GB of ram from crucial to upgrade my pc.
    I have just installed the new ram and now the pc isnt working!
    Its not firing the screen up and i dont think the hard drive is going as i can hear no noise from it or vibration to show its going, i have metered the connection to the hard drive and there is power going to it.
    The dvd drive is working and the fans are going and the graphics card is working as i can feel the heat off it and also if i disconnect the monitor it comes up with no signal but it wont come on with the pc and i have tried a different monitor with the same result.
    I also reseated the memory just in case but its still the same and im getting no beep codes either.

I've run out of ideas now so somebody please help :(

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried going back to the original ram that was in it?, Is the ram the all the same spped and did you use the crucial memory advisor to buy the correct dimms?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. brizzoluk

I just put the original ram back in and its working!!
    Theres me trying to be all technical and clever and getting nowhere and not doing the most glaringly obvious thing.

Anyways back to the problem yesi did use the memory advisor to get the right dimms but they must be the wrong ones then if they dont work?

4. greenbrucelee

contact Crucial via the live help and tell them what happened, they'll probably send you some new ones or give you a refund.

5. brizzoluk

ok thanks Mr Lee im glad it wasnt anything serious i was starting to panic that i'd blown something!

6. greenbrucelee

Crucial are a good company so I would assume they are just faulty, nothing you have done.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

2 x 2GB DIMMs yeah?

Try one and see what happens. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

what are the specs of the ram? both old and new ..

did you check if your motherboard can handle the new RAM.

I just had a similar problem, I got hold of 4 sticks of 1GB (DDR2 5300), and for whatever reason my mobo would only recognise any 2 of them ..I was planning to upgrade my 4 x 1GB (DDR2 4200)

My mobo said it could handle it, but for a reason I have yet to fathom they (the 5300) just wouldnt work as 4 x 1GB :/ very strange

I ended up giving it all back and just carrying on with what I had ..

9. greenbrucelee

Some mobo only except certain dimms in certain slots. An example is the Asus Rampage formula (which I am getting) it will hold 4 dimms of corsair XMS-2 dominator at 8500 but if you go for higher speed corsair which you can it will only except it in two of the slots not four. Asus provide a qvl list on there web site so you can find all this info

10. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

What about your PSU? Can it handle that extra power required?

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  11. brizzoluk

after a bit of swappping back and forth i found out one of the dimms is faulty so im sending it back to crucial for a replacement, not a great first impression of crucial but customer services were very helpful and apologetic.