Shouting down the Well

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by MacAllan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Hello!

{faint echo...}

HELLO!!!

{hello...}

IS THERE ANYBODY IN THERE?

{....there..}

(shrugs..) Oh, just an echo (wanders off..)

{...Damn! We've really got to find a way of diplaying the threads in this topic, that's the fifth punter we've lost this week...}

(..stops, wanders back..) There is someone there!

{Yes, but we've fallen down this well, and no-one can find us...}

Oh! Errm, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about the Linux+ thingamajig.

{..great!..}

Is it any good? I've used linux for years at home, and need something to show for it - Red Hat and LPI are a bit daunting, and not sure if they are overkill for what I want. But do employers rate Linux+? I mean, I'm not applying for jobs as an admin /UNIX guru or anything, just another string to my bow. Any advice?

{...Errm we'll get back to you...}

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

At $dayjob they mostly haven't heard of Linux+, so it wouldn't get you a job immediately! They are far more interested in experience.

However - I'd say that Linux+ would be a good intro to doing LPI. (Note - I haven't done either of them, but have looked at the objectives.)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Thanks,

By the way... where are the other 105 threads? Do I have to get some secret password? sleep with someone? pay a hefty bribe? :blink

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - guessing at what you are saying - look at the top of the list of threads in this forum. There is a drop-down box for how far back to search.

Mind you - this isn't a busy forum!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Harry is right on all counts. In the Linux community, Linux experience tends to carry more weight than Linux certs. Also, the forum has a default setting that controls the age of posts and threads shown.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies - yes, this forum for some reason was set at only the last month's posts, unlike the other ones. 0/10 for my observation skills I guess :oops:

Regarding linux experience / certs, thanks again - it's just that with my experience being non-commercial I was looking for something that might carry a little more weight than 'well, I've been farting around with it since 1997.' :rolleyes: