Should Microsoft do this?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by zcarenow, Aug 7, 2010.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow New Member

To eliminate all those people who have certifications w/o experience, maybe they should have a pre-req that all of those who decide to pursue a cert, need to verify that they have experience with the product that they're trying to pursue. They will have to list their employer with contact info and microsoft will contact the employer to verify that the person had the relevant experience to pursue that particular cert. This will eliminate any 'paper' cert people.

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

... and cost a fortune to implement. Not gonna happen.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This. And, in any case, it won't eliminate the problem... know how easy it would be for me to say someone works for me when they really don't?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Would never happen. It's not just the new starts who are at it. I know more than a few large companies who actively encourage their employees to dump exams to get contracts.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It's a shame that 'paper cert' applies only to just IT Certs...I know many people that started out with a 'paper Degree', 'paper HNC', 'paper C&G' etc.

Anyhow, those without experience will be sifted out in the interview and if not at that point they'll be ejected in the first few days of employment.

Bottom line is that Degrees, Certs etc make money...no-one in their right mind would put a stop to non experienced people doing a cert or an academic qualification that requires very little in background.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Microsoft can do whatever they want - within the Microsoft domain.

You can choose to get with the programme, or you can choose not to.

Whatever... :dry

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is one of the reasons why I like professional registrations/status like the CITP, ICTTech, etc... Where you have to prove your experience...

I'm tired of coming across MCSE's who can't join a PC to a domain and MCITP: SA/EA's who have never touched a server in a working environment.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I've been contracting for 7 years, who are they going to ask about my experience?

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Theoretically, anyone who you've contracted for. However, I seriously doubt Microsoft would implement this requirement.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!