Should Include IT Projects On Resume?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Should I include some of the few It projects on my resume if so how should I list them I need your help.
    I did work for two separate agencies 1 project for once agency installing POS systems in a theater and
    the second was working for an agency doing PC setup and running an image installation.

Could someone give me an idea of how to list this experience on my resume.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you should

Just put the projects as temporary work, just put them as you put in this post and include the line more details can be give on request, so it puts an emphasis on the employer to ask you questions about the projects if you get an IT interview.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you are pursuing a non-IT job, then no. If you are pursuing an IT job, then yes.

As GBL states, list it as work experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the others. The very first IT related "job" I put on my resume was a class project where my class ran Ethernet cable in a new computer lab, installed the router and switch and installed and configured all of the lab PCs. Hey, it's relevant work so why not?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I definately agree with GBL & BM, list them if you're going for an IT job, after all it is experience :)

As for listing them, list them in your Job history part of your CV. Whether it's a part-time job, contracted job, full-time job, etc it should be listed, imo by date order.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh, sorta. Once you say "student" and "class project", it's immediately out of the scope of "real-world work experience" to most employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't say "student" and "class project". Just list the activities you performed and name the place as "University of IT Training" or whatever. If they ask in the interview, you tell the truth of course and you can emphasize that while you didn't get paid, you still did the work and the end result had to work just the same.

Certifications: A+ and Network+