Should i try CCENT?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by SVista, Apr 8, 2008.

1. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Hi,

I hope i'm not running before i can walk here but anyway, having recently passed 220-601 and confident i'll pass 602 in the V.V.near future, is it worth starting the CCENT as opposed to (or in conjunction with) the N+ afterwards?
    I'm fortunate enough that my employer will pay for course materials etc. I'm twenty six and want to advance my career ASAP, and networking is what i find most interesting, everybody i talk to seems to think if you get some CISCO on your CV you become extremely attractive to prospective employers.Also, from looking at the course modules, a lot of the stuff has been covered (to whatever degree) in the A+ cert. LAN, WAN, components in basic networks etc.

Thanks in advance for comments, advice.

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say do N+ first before the Cisco stuff.

Cisco on your CV *is* attractive to employers, but there is a word missing. That word is 'experience', not 'certification'. :biggrin

If your employer is so forthcoming with support (and kudos to him for being so) then see if you can get 'hands-on' on such stuff - even if it is supervised. Once you have some experience then CCNA would be a good thing to go for.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth. Certifications alone will not make you attractive to employers. Certifications plus experience will make you attractive to employers - the experience is the key.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I think you'd be much better off going after the Net+. Without Cisco experience, the CCENT is very difficult; additionally, as the others have said, it really doesn't do much for you career-wise.

5. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

I realise that experience is the primary factor, but it reminds me a little of the chicken and the egg scenario,
    how am i supposed to get a job working with cisco products to get the experience, if i have no knowledge of the products?
    In my job i'm not using cisco products, but i am beginning to support our company network, hence the N+ training i was intending to do, but even so if in the next six months I crack the n+ and work on our company networks for the next 12, would a company requiring support to cisco equipment look at my CV which would then read a+ n+, two and a half years exp, (12 months networking), without any cisco cert at all?

Thanks guys

6. hbroomhall

Once you have some experience of network support then you could try getting work at a place with Cisco stuff.

Most companies with Cisco kit usually have lots of other stuff - and that would be your entry point.

Do you not have any Cisco kit where you work? Often moving sideways in a company is easier than going for a job with a different company.

Harry.

7. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

I agree, but there is no where to move in my company, the only saving grace is that they are willing to pay for pretty much any cert i want to go for, materials, exam fees you name it. With incremental payrises after each cert i complete. I guess i'll just have to try and get the N+ done as soon as possible while trying to get as much time on the equipment we do have.

thanks peeps.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the N+ will prepare you for the CCNET

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I agree with experience stuff, but on the other hand I can see where your coming from with the chicken and egg scenario.

I'm now getting my arse in gear with regards to the CCNA - I had considered it before but thought in pointless as I didn't work with the equipment. However, as I'm now kitting out sites with 3750s and 2960s I am of the opinion that the time is right to study this cert cos' sooner or later someone or some situation will prompt me to have more of an understanding then racking them up etc!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. BosonMichael

Then you should consider making a lateral shift to a company that does have those possibilities to learn those technologies in a real-world environment. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Surely leaving my company would be a little hasty:

1. I only have a+ at the moment (602 exam shortly) positive thinking :)
    2. They are funding my training 100%
    3. I am just starting to work more with networks as opposed to phone tech support.

I just wondered from my original post how to get into cisco, which i have been led to believe is more financially lucrative, i don't want to do it for just that reason but if i'm honest it's one of the reasons i got into IT. That and the fact i can pick things up quite quickly with the subject. I was under the impression that the CCENT was quite a basic step into the world of cisco. Apparently i was mistaken. So before i annoy anyone with my incessant ramblings i will summarise what i have taken from the replies:

The N+ seems to be the way to go initially whilst starting to get hands on experience at my current place of work, then go into cisco if i show an aptitude for networking in general. That sound like a plan?

SV

12. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hmm...why don't you try the ICND1 training (CCENT) and see what you think? Get the Cisco training kit and give it a blast! If you find it difficult then move down to the N+. The ICND1 would cover a lot of N+ stuff anyhow so nothing lost!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  13. BosonMichael

The CCENT *is* a basic step into the world of Cisco... but the world of Cisco is a BIG step away from entry-level IT tech jobs. The certification alone won't enable you to automagically make that jump. One step at a time... Help Desk/PC tech > Desktop Support tech > Server/Systems Admin > Network Admin.

In any case, it will be helpful for you to pursue the Network+. Pursue Cisco as soon as you're about to start dabbling in it at work. :)

Again, these are just suggestions based on what we've seen employers desire/require.

14. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Thanks guys,

Food for thought, although i had my question answered for me today when upon my arrival back at work i was told "when you pass a+ this week (602 booked for sat morning) you'll be allowed a week or so to chill then i want you to start n+, never mind that CC thingy!" lol

Thanks boss!

15. BosonMichael

He's reading this forum. 8) Hah! :biggrin

16. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

I have been looking at the next step from A+, cisco certs being one of them. I have the Mike Myers N+ book and at the beginning there is a paragraph on " who needs N+ anyway?!...is you goal only to get a solid handle on the idea of networking and get yourself a jump start on the basiss? ....you've got the right book"

O.k, pretty heavy on the self praise!! I was thinking about studying first with the book to get a firm handle on the concepts, not bothering with the expense of the exam and going straight for the cisco ccna.

I'm finding here in France that the "formation" or training/confirming your knowledge in the form of a cert, is as important as the experience when competing for a job.

Just a few ideas.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  17. hbroomhall

Surely then it would be worth sitting the exam for N+. If you have learnt it why not show it? :biggrin

Harry.