Should I take this job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Zid, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Zid

Zid New Member

So I had an interview for a "Software support Engineer" during the week with a small company whose office is basically a converted bungalow, very small team, 5-10.

It's about a 20 min drive away from me (through some roads that have car crash written all over them, like a bridge with no give way sign on a blind corner.)

The interview seemed to go ok.. ish, I think they were really pressuring me into making mistakes but I feel I kept my cool and stayed honest. They said they have other candidates to interview and will give me a call this monday.

I ask the question "Where do you see me within this company in a year?" and the answer I got was fairly lackluster, as mentioned it's a fairly small company so I'm not really sure what I expected, but the prospect for promotion is very low, and through a few of my own prying questions, it seems this position is open one too many times for their liking, people keep leaving.

Now the question is, should I take this job and keep studying for my A+, chalk up 6 months experience and quit whining, or stick to my guns and look for a 1st line job in a larger company?

In my heart of hearts I really don't feel like I'd fit in at the company, I reckon it would be a rough 6 months. Although if someone reads this who shouldn't It wont matter anyway =>.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Certifications: GCE-A Level
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds a bit like a helpdesk role for a particular software product. To be honest, if you get offered this post - take it! And then study for the A+ in your spare time. The first IT job is often the hardest job to get. If you do decide that it's not for you, you can still search for other IT jobs while you're gaining valuable experience in this one.

That's just my opinion, at the end of the day the choice is yours :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Zid

Zid New Member

I didn't elaborate 'cause I felt I should cover my own back, but seing as my username is the first three letters of my e-mail and all I really did was a quick Find+Replace in word, that's out the window.

www.welcome21.co.uk

Yeah it's a specific software product, they seem to think I'll have to pester them for a month or so before I can actually do the job intended, which I'm also slightly iffy about. I just can't see it taking that long so I'm not sure what else there is to it. But the main thing that makes me consider is the amount of time necessary to spend in the job. Would 6 months be enough, or more than needed to prove my experience?

And hey ken, how's it going?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You're eighteen, what have you got to lose? You have IT experience to gain!

Go for it :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

They haven't offered it to you yet, have they? Take it and gain some experience. It doesn't mean that you have to stay there forever. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have they offered you the job yet?

Take the job, if it doesnt work out leave after a year and within that time get your A+ and perhaps another cert as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Wow the pay is crap, isn't it! £12k? Including working nights?? Fecking hell..... after tax, NI and travel costs, it's only just above minimum wage! No wonder they find people don't stay very long.

There again, I've worked for less to get my foot in a door (including for nothing - now how good a deal was that?) :D

I guess it depends on your circumstances, what experience you have and how long you've been looking. Getting the first job is hard, and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. If you've no experience at all, maybe this is how you'll start. You might not get another chance for a long, long time.

Even if you don't 'fit in' that's a kind of experience in itself. You won't get to choose who calls you for help, and learning people skills is as important as the techy stuff sometimes.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  8. Kitkatninja

It's going so-so mate, slowly though, but that is life :)

As for a month of asking "how to do that" I would say it's average, if it's going to be their own software product, it'll take alittle while before you know the in's and out's of it and any problems with a particular OS (or version). Six months is considered good for alot of entry jobs and you'll see more doors opening for you, of course the more time experience in the field the better. But like it's been said already, the main thing at the moment is to get your foot in the door :)

Hey mate, where in Northants are you?

Just re-read the job spec, this may also open up doors if you decide that support isn't your thing and you want to get into beta testing:
    "Testing of new software prior to release"

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

If you get offered it, take it. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

The wage is abit rubbish though.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  10. Zid

Zid New Member

No I've not been offered the job yet, but the vibe I got was that I was the candidate with the most IT experience (somehow) and technically I proved myself in the interview.
    Although I was a little insulted that they stated "It's ok, DOS is before your time" even though I did know all the commands for tasks they do day-to-day (making a list of the contents of a folder for exmaple)

Working nights isn't as bad as it sounds, as far as I know it's just a case of taking a mobile phone home and answering it within 3 rings, although I'm not quite sure what you're meant to do if you can't solve their problem, I can't exactly refer them on to someone else at 2 in the morning.

Thanks for the comments, I guess i'm just being a baby.

Ken, Wellingborough, I came in to see you last month or so, you referred me to the forum :P.

11. Kitkatninja

Dude, I remember now :) Cool, glad you sign up. Didn't recognised your e-mail address as your e-mail address is in my work account. Mate, glad it's going good and you're out there getting interviews.

-ken

12. Kitkatninja

I use to work shifts, not sure if it'll be the same. But majority of the time you answer the phone, if it's not a high priority problem, all you do is politey tell them that you logged the job (of course log it, don't forget), if it is something you can easily do via remote access (eg VPN) then do it. However once in a very blue moon you may have to go in to fix the problem (eg server's gone down/broke, etc) but I doubt if they'll expect you to do things like that until you're fully trained up. I'm only speaking from past experiences and every company is different so don't take my word as gospel :biggrin

-ken

13. Zid

Zid New Member

Well I got a phone call today, they asked if I wanted to go in and work for them wed and thurs, paid.
    So it's a perfect chance to get a feel for them.

14. Kitkatninja

Excellent mate :) Let the collection of IT experience begin...

-Ken