Should I switch certs?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 11, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As most you you will know I have been on a pretty hectic schedule at work and haven't had much time to study for the N+. My hardwork seems to have paid of and I am getting a lot of exposure to servers, networking and configuring xp and win2k3.

At the moment I seem to be doing a lot of windows configuring and server configs.

I have been reading the groth book but I keep wanting to reach out for MS press books as a lot of stuff I am doing seems to relate to them.

So should I carry on with the N+ and going onto the MCDST then go back to the N+ later or stay on the N+ then MCDST?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just to mix things up why not push on with the Network+ and then go for the 70-270?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+ then MCDST. The stuff you learn on the Network+ will serve you well for the MCDST and beyond.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee

I plan on doing that last, I do have the books for it but wanted the N+ and MCDST out of the way before attempting it.

I know I should do it that way I am just not as enjoying the N+ as much as I know I will the MCDST, although I am not finding the N+ hard or anything just not very enjoyable.

5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

GBL i have the MS Press books for all the MCSE and believe me i am thinking about those books and how exciting they are every time i am reading the one I'm studying. The grass is always greener! Stick to what you are doing, it may be boring but once done it's done. If you stop now and go back to it later it will be even more boring.

At the moment studying the 290 i am dreaming of Exchange and ISA and even Sharepoint and Citrix stuff. Eventually when i ever get round to any of them i will be dreaming of something else :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  6. greenbrucelee

I guess your right, I'll get the boring stuff out of the way first otherwise I may never go back to it.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You will not always find every topic interesting, when I was studying some of the ITIL v3 Foundation, I went to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But just power on as it won't last forever!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. greenbrucelee

Am gonna try and get through the rest of the groth book this weekend, althoug as soon as I see any bloody subnet topics I tend to say meh and put it down but I'll try and power through it as you say:D

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try and get a plan together to finish the book, perhaps a couple of chapters a week?

Then it hopefully wont drag on........

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. greenbrucelee

See my main issue is numbers or mathematics, when I was at school I was always in th retard classes for maths back then it was something I just couldn't do. When I got to college I had to do extra maths with my GNVQ and I also had to do extra maths with my HND and I ended up with an AS level (I think grade C) with my HND.

So even though I can now mathematics it's always something that makes me think this is going to be a pain in the arse. I have no issues with binary and subnetting it's the other stuff I still struggle with from time to time.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Alright GBL just scrap N+ and MCDST and go straight to 291.... I am just kidding. I personally wouldn't care which one I do first. If I were doing more MCDST stuff then yes it would be easier to study because I am doing it at work and vise versa.

Good luck...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. greenbrucelee

I am gonna try and persevere with the N+, am gonna try and get it away as quick as poss

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nobody said studying for certifications is always going to be enjoyable... I didn't find studying for the Exchange exams "enjoyable"... but I studied for them, nonetheless.

If you want enjoyment, play a computer game, or go watch a movie or something. This is career development, not entertainment! :p :biggrin

Besides, you'll never escape from the things you learn in Network+... best to get a solid foundation of knowledge NOW; otherwise, you'll struggle on those topics from here on out until you learn it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just to give you an idea, I did the MCDST because the material that was covered in the exam is the stuff I do on a daily basis at work. So it was logical for me to pursue the certification. Aside from that you can also use certifications to learn new technology. Both N+ and MCDST complement each other so it doesn't really matter what cert you do first to be honest. The only reason why people say you should stick with N+ is because you already started studying for it, so why stop now? get it over with and then go for MCDST.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA