Should I go for it

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 10, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Recently the IT manager has mentioned to me he is leaving, this will mean a change in the IT dept, where the other two support people will end up changing roles. i.e one of them becomes IT manager.

There is going to possibly be two support positions open up, so I was thinking should I apply as I can say I have a good usage and understanding on the companies computer infrastructure especially the dept I work in now.

The problem is I applied for a job in the same IT place not long after I started working there and got turned down, by the then current IT manager who is now IT director.

before I applied for the IT job, one day he came up into my department and I had just came on shift and he said what the f****** hell is there no firewall activated on this pc

I said I dont know, I didnt switch it off maybe Andy (my collegue) had done and the IT manager threw a fit. I was tired as I had done a 15hour shift the day before and I was a bit sharp with him I said "Look I didnt do it, dont have a go at me" an he walked out.

Have I blown my chances?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hard to say, we all get a little tired and bothered from time to time. Best you can do is show that you are mild mannered and eager, let your colleages see you as a friend even. Ask them if you can apply, whether they'd back you etc.

These soft skills are very important, I'm still not great at them myself !

Julius Caesar was a ruthless socialite, he didn't get into power by accident...

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was a blatant self publicist, simply quietly doing a good job isn't always enough...

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Go for it, at the end of the day what the worse that they can say, "No". However you'll will never know if you could have gotten it unless you try.

Don't worry about that one incident, if it was down to incompetence then it'd be a different matter, but it sounds like you just came on shift and "clearing" up the previous shift's mess. I'm not going to try to defend the ex-IT manager actions, but everyone (inc myself) has off days where we come down and shout when things aren't going right.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I say go for it. Those moments we all have, but it doesn't mean that you wont get the job, if he disrespected you like that and you talked back without swearing or yelling but with respect for your self he should not have any issues with you. Especially since you didn't do it.

I work with IT guys who are 10 years+ older then me and believe me sometimes you have to stand up for your self. The way I see it is there is a lot of things you cant teach people you don't know, but the one thing that you can teach them is how to treat you.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee

Cheers people

I will apply as it looks like positions will come up, when the IT director comes back from Holiday on Monday he is gonna find out the IT manager is leaving then they will need people then I will apply.

It will be working in a support team covering 1500 users plus quite a lot of servers I am not sure how many but the dept I work in now has 7.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with the other responses. Just about everyone has a response like that every now and then. As long as you are pleasant and easy to get along with most of the time, they'll likely make the decision based on your merits and not on your attitude.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers BM another thing is I don't think I am involved in the IT directors master plan or to put it another way my face doesn't fit with him.

I will still go for it.

My general attitude to everything is relaxed and chilled out this is way I have always been and will always be. I have never seen the point in getting mad about something which has gone wrong because **** happens

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it mate, don’t stress about the whole firewall thing, that should be controlled with group policy (if it’s a Windows firewall) and your network will (I assume) be behind a decent hardware firewall. No need for him to react that way.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My thoughts exactly :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. greenbrucelee

Cheers guys :D

I will keep you posted of any developments.

11. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Go for it and good luck.............

It's harder to say no to people you have to see face to face, so in theory you stand a good chance!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK