Should I Do The CompTIA Certs First?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Bobzy20, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bobzy20

Bobzy20 New Member

Hello guys,

Ok I’m looking to get into the IT market and really need some advice on what course to start with.

I’m currently trained in AutoCAD so I’ve been using that for about 7 years.

I’ve built about 2 or 3 PC’s in my time and formatted and re-installed windows many, many times so all basic stuff really although if somebody asked what was the minimum PC requirements to install windows XP or Vista I would need to look that up!

So really I’m quite handy just doing the odd PC build & re-install but I know I need to learn much much more. As for which IT role I want to get into I’m not so sure at the moment as I haven’t had any IT jobs.

When people talk about A+ & N+ are they talking about CompTIA certs?

I have read on this site somewhere that if you haven’t really got that much experience in IT you should maybe look at doing the A+ and then maybe the N+ certs first before going ahead with any other certs.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

2. J7ody

J7ody New Member

Morning,

With the experience you are talking about you should not have too much of an issue with the A+, although it will cover more of the history of the components and diversify on what you already know.

The N+ will be a great first step going into networking and teaching you the terminologies and helping you understand the talk.

From there it is a case of where you want to go and what you want to support. The MCDST (or whatever MS latest name for it is) is a good place to start from there its up through MCSA/MCITP for server and infrastructure support and CCNA for network support.

Hope this helps a little and good luck

Jody

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCTS: 7, MCSA:2003, MCITP: 2008, CCNA, & TigerScheme QSTM
    WIP: CEH, CS3 & HTML5
  3. Bobzy20

Bobzy20 New Member

Hi Jody thanks very much for the information.

Bobzy20

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The CompTIA A+ and Network+ are great certs for the fundamentals and well worth picking up, then the MCDST as suggested above (plus the upgrade exams for Vista and Win7 if you like). At that point however, you'll want to stop certifying until you have the relevant experience to match the higher level certs.

Its that experience which is the real money maker so if you can get in shadowing the techs where you work or find some voluntary IT work somewhere it'll help a lot.

And remember, you don't have to wait until you've got the certs to start applying for jobs!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This!

I was voluntering for 8 months before I got my first paid IT job. It's a great way to get some experience and should be easier than getting paid work.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure