Should I do Project+ before Prince2?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by michael78, Nov 11, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Prince2 is on my list on certs to do in the next 9-12 months but am unsure of if Prince2 might be over my head and I might be best off starting with Project+ first. Just a couple of questions is Project+ a good starting point in Project Management and is it suitable for the UK market and isn't say geared to the US. Not sure if Project Management is the same all over the world.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To my knowledge there are two main project methodologies in use:

1. PMBok which both the PMI as well as Project+ uses.
    2. Then there's the Prince2 methodology.
    3. There's also Agile, but to my knowledge that is more geared up towards software development projects, instead of projects in general.

Again, to my knowledge unless some of our members here from the US can correct me, PMBok is more popular in the US, while Prince2 is more popular over here. However that's not to say that Prince2 is solely used in the UK and vice versa. Just do a search on Monster and see how many jobs state PMP (which is from the PMI and is PMBok based).

Should you do both the Project+ and Prince2? Why not? I would if I had the finances. Would the Prince2 be over your head? Well they do a foundation level course/exam, so I would say no - I did the ITIL foundation and I passed :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I'd go for Project+ first, as Ken mentions this is based on the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) which goes into alot more detail regarding project management (key areas such as cost forecasting, earned value, risk, HR stuff etc) than Prince2, so when you do finally do start on the Prince2 material it will sink in much quicker (official manual is a nightmare but the Dummies book is good).
    Prince2 will look better on your CV but I think you will learn more by doing the Project+, I used this book to pass:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Stu...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257950680&sr=8-1
    Would definitely recommend it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There are almost as many different approaches are there are people doing project management.

Project+ seems like a fairly straight forward cert, so no reason why you can't do both, but it is not a requirement for Prince2 either. So it is purely down to you.

Prince2 seems more relevant in general in the UK, but it really depends on the company as to what practices they use.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm glad I asked this as I wasn't sure if they used different methodologies so glad I know now. I think from the looks of it maybe Prince2 for me being in the UK would be of better benefit to me than Project+.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It really does depend on the methodology that the organisation uses. But if you've decided on Prince2, good luck with it :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm half way through Prince2 at the moment.
    I'm doing a five day course and passed foundations today.

The official manual is dry as @rseholes and is enough to make you want to go and mow the lawn in the rain with a hover mower as an alternative to reading it.

The foundations exam is pretty simplistic, but the practitioner exam looks like a real horror - and we've only got one day left to get our heads round it.

I'm relying on the relatively low passmark to help me out!

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

True, but just beware that the current Dummies book is for the 2005 Prince, not 2009.
    Although they are broadly similar, there are a number if distinct differences where things have changed and so you may find 2005 material misleading.

It's also worth noting that (certainly more so for the foundation) the exam is largely a memory test of what is said in the official manual, and by that I mean the exact terms used.

So while something like Dummies may help you understand the subject in a bit more of a relaxing way, it won't be as much help for the exam as you might think. I gave up on Dummies when it became clear that the main requirement was a photographic recollection of the standards.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD