Should I do Comptia A+ Course for £1690

Discussion in 'A+' started by sahilsaid, Feb 2, 2010.

1. sahilsaid

sahilsaid New Member

HI everyone, Please help by giving me your opinion about whether I should or should not do this Comptia A+ course which will cost me £1690.

Today I had a interview with 'redtray' career advisor and she told me that this course will suite me best and I will be able to find a good job after completing this "Comptia A+" course because they work with clients like bp, NHS, orange, tmobile, etc.

I am currently studying at university of Westminster and I am in my first year of 3 years degree.

So can you please tell me if the price offered for the course is okay? and what are the chances of getting a job after completing this course for someone like me who doesn't have any work experience?

Thanks

2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes for just £1690, it sounds GREAT!

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well if you can study at uni then why not study for the A+ rather than paying for an expensive training course.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No

you could get the books you need for the A+,N+,MCDST, and pay for the exams yourself for about a 3rd of that price.

You do not have to do a course you can self study as the majaority of us do on here, it's cheaper, can do it at your own pace and you can make sure you get the best material.

you can book the exams through www.pearsonvue.com and you will find your nearest test center on there, you can buy discount vouchers instead of paying full price for the exams from www.gracetechsolutions.com just make sure you buy international vouchers for the UK.

That price just for the A+ is outrageous.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. There are dozens of reasons that you can find on this very forum that will tell you exactly why you shouldn't.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. sahilsaid

sahilsaid New Member

Thanks for all of your reply

Are these course really well recognised in UK? and what are the chances of gettign a job after completing and passing CompTIA A+?
    Do you know anyone who has done this course and got the job after completion?

Thanks

7. Sparky

You will never get a job based on certification alone.

The A+ will help your CV towards and entry level IT job but companies will always look other things to. For example people skills are important with entry level IT support jobs as you will either be helping users over the phone or face to face.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. greenbrucelee

THe A+ is recognised as an entry level cert, so don't expect some big megga IT job with big cash.

Usually people start with the A+ then move onto other certs like N+ and MCDST then when they have the experience required in a job they move onto other certs like the MCSA and MCSE.

No qualification or certification can guarantee you a job nothing can do that apart from an acceptance letter. In IT experience is king so getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

How do you achieve that experience I hear you ask. With patience, perseverance and trying and trying again. Qulaifications and certs will make you look more attractive to your first employer especially if the other people going for the job don't have the certs and qualifications you have.

As I said earlier you don't need to do a course you can practice and study on your own and then take and pass the exams.

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I wouldn't bother... the book will cost you 50 quid, the exams another 200 or so per exam, and all you need apart from that is some time and a PC on the side to tinker with. Seems like you all ready got the PC since you're surfing this forum.

+1600 quid is way too much in my humble opinion.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. sahilsaid

sahilsaid New Member

So would you recomond me doing this course and than once I pass this CompTIA A+ move on to N+ and MCDST?, Hopefully!

I am still confused about the job that I can apply for once I have finished MSCST or N+? Sorry for keep asking similar questions but As I do no have any work experience. I am just worried that I might not end up wasting money and my time on this courses.

Thank you once again for all of your replies.

11. Sparky

We are recommending that you buy some materials for the A+ and take the exam yourself, no need for an expensive training course.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  12. sahilsaid

sahilsaid New Member

13. greenbrucelee

you need to buy an international voucher for the UK. BTW the A+ has two exams so you will have to buy two, also don't buy the vouchers until you are ready for the exams.

14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You forgot the [SARCASM][/SARCASM] tags.

as others have said, self study, its cheaper.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

NO!
    it is rip off, you can do it by buying book of Mike Meyers, and reading and watching http://www.professormesser.com plus reading some magazines, for 2 exams you will pay 230 Quid if you'll pass them at first time
    the price 1690 is much too expensive, and having only A+ gives you small chances for doing career in IT

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  16. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Speak to your training provider, and say NO. when they ask why, say......

For the money You are charging me, via self studying I could, If take the time to study hard and pass exams first time. Take and gain the following certfifcations

A+
    N+
    70-271 = MCP
    70-272 = MCDST

70-270, 290, 291 + MCDST = MCSA

and still have money left over for a more than a few pints down the pub

Now....is it really shelling 1690 for one certification?:blink

Or you could Pay me £1690. Ill gladly send you study materials, book your exams, look for a job for you and take the missus out for a lovely meal at a luxury hotel with the cash thats left over:D

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I attended a classroom course with rapidresults in 2004 for the A+ and loved it.
    Although I had some experience of how computers worked I really wanted the "hands on bit" and for someone to say "actually this is what you need to do" or, "no, that's wrong" - and that's exactly what we got. Well, we actually got more than that.
    From memory, (bare in mind it's 2004) we got:

five days of classroom based training (covered the objectives and built a pc from componant level, installed the os and broke it to learn how to fix it)
    the complete course on video cd roms (ones you can actually see!) with their own published books
    tutor support for a year after attending
    £999

At the time my brother couldn't believe the price; I only needed to purchase the exam vouchers and he knew of people who spent twice that amount for a pile of cd's, a telephone number (which didn't always answer!) and an exam voucher if you passed their own tests first which were braindumps in a word document.

Dont forget the A+ is very hands on compared to say the N+ where the objectives can be learnt from your favourite arm chair.

So i guess it's up to you. I am not saying you cannot pass the A+ without a classroom course, but then again, as with anything you want to invest time or money in: do your homework.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and the outcome.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT