Should I do a course or homestudy?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ajhayter, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Ajhayter

Ajhayter New Member

Hi there,

I was pointed to this site by the almighty google, and thought I'd ask a few questions.

Firstly Is the format of the test multiple choice like the practice questions on the CompTIA website?

Secondly, should I go on a proper course, or simply buy the course materials and learn myself? I am very familiar with computers, having been building them since I was 14 (I'm 18 now). I am also allways the first point of call for anyone with a computer problem in my family/friends.

I passed all of the practice questions on the CompTIA website with 8/10 or higher in all 4 of the mini tests (without any revision or work, just clicked out of interest).

So which do you think? If I put the effort in am I likely to succeed with un-tutored learning?
    More about me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ajhayter
    From
    Aj

Certifications: GCSE/A Level
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you take a look on Cramsession's website, they give the info:

E X A M S P E C S
    Exam Number: 220-601
    Active / Retired: Active
    Prerequisites: None
    Exam Format: Multiple Choice
    Num Questions: 100
    Time Limit: 90:00
    Cost (USD) $: 150 - 225
    Passing Score: 675

E X A M S P E C S
    Exam Number: 220-602
    Active / Retired: Active
    Prerequisites: None
    Exam Format: Multiple Choice
    Num Questions: 80
    Time Limit: 90:00
    Cost (USD) $: 93-225
    Passing Score: 700

As for whether to do a course or not, that is totally up to you. Everyone has their own learning methods and what may suit 1 person may not suit another. I would say try self-study first of all, if that doesn't work for you, then do a course.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what Ken said :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

All i can say is you may get the course free of charge in portsmouth,under 19s get great college benefits.The next teaching seesion is during september i think,the last one began in january.

I can tell you from my own experience the college course in Portsmouth is hard to beat for thoroughness and teaching of the A+.

They do 100 hours of training,20 to 30 hours is hands on training with hardware.

If you can get this all free of charge,or discounted it would be worthwhile.

There will be parts of the A+ i think you'll never have come across yet,as they teach you how to work for companies,the rules are obviously different from fixing up a pc for a neighbour.

It's that side i think which will surprise you the most.

I could also build pcs years before i started on the A+,but the course is way beyond just building a pc,i ended up spending more than 200 hours on the A+ ,even with years of experience of building and fixing pcs behind me.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. z0nk

z0nk Bit Poster

Personally I learn better self studying because I can do everything at my own pace.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  6. korovyov

korovyov New Member

I did self-study and it worked beautifully for me. However, the materials I learned from went over a lot of detail - pin-outs, CPU specs, bandwidth/specs of SCSI drives, etc - that I was never asked about in the exam. From that I can conclude that it's probably best to learn from people who have already taken the exams if possible.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCSA, MCITP
  7. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

A course is more than likely going to be more enjoyable than self study and i you really learn new things best when you discuss the with others.

Certifications: A+