Should I do a clean install?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Jan 24, 2005.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK, I got a new Dell Inspiron 510M for one of my bosses the other day and would like a recommendation. As with most of the OEM stuff these days it comes with a whole lot of 'crap' installed. As it also comes with so called recovery disks, if I installed the system from scratch it would have all the same junk so I was thinking of just getting an XP disk and installing a 'clean' version without the junk. Does anyone else do this or do you just leave it the way it comes?[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

id wipe it, get all the latest drivers for the model from the dell website first and throw them on a memory key
    its a bitch when the network card doesnt work :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the tip mate. I think I remember seeing a driver cd in the box but knowing dell you can't just install the drivers without installing the junk too (like their version of the OS).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I have done this with my latest machine, I just find that it is easier that way. Although the machine came with XP home, and I wanted pro. That was my main reason.

However, what are the chance's of you boss using all the crap that come's installed? You could just use the OEM disks and uninstall the the stuff you don't want, and keep the crap he does.

Just come's down to personal preference really! I would probly go for the clean install.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Did this recently for a friend too, Nugg - if it's a similar setup, then the recovery disk (or a seperate CD) has all the drivers you'll need. So I say yup, flatten it and install XP clean - make the machine run like it can, not how Dell say it should !!!!!

My 2€ :D

EDIT:
    You can, and it works a treat !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

yes

The short answer

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I hate all that extra rubbish too, but I think you should give due consideration to the manufacturer in this case, because during the warranty period they, meaning their help personel rely on that rubbish to diagnose problems with the system. You might find another job, working for a different company and someone else may call Dell support and then find that because thier diagnostic software has been deleted they are unable to help :eek:

Personally, I would leave it alone, unless it was one of my own PCs, or outside the warranty period.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Very valid point Pete. It is a long shot, I'm sure you'll agree, but could cause trouble as you say.

It's the same reason I may miss out on the £££ for another job I had lined up on a one month old PC :dry

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's a very interesting slant on the theme Pete, thanks. We bought the same model for the CEO about 6 months ago and he hasn't complained so far, and now we have the same for the CFO.

As you would do Pete, I wouldn't hesitate if it was mine, but it's not.

Most of the junk is Dell help center/how to's, quick buttons, McAffee security center stuff and possibly more.

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would personally leave it the way it is if it's for work due to simplicity and time. If it was for myself I would wipe it and start again to get rid of all the unwanted applications like I did with my laptop.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong but there would surely be a partioned part of the drive SYSTEM SAV. If so then would you not be able to wipe the drive as needed, installing whatever OS you like and if any bother arises, use the recovery discs before the Dell support person comes out to have a look . Its just thats how an old Presario i had worked.

WIP: mcp/ccna
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, you can definitely format the drive on a Dell, put whatever OS you want on the main partition, but as you rightly state, Dave - I believe they keep the system files on a separate partition anyway, plus you still have the restore disk anyway. Thats how I was able to do a friends Dell last year.

Good thinking m8 - maybe I can make some £££ off this current job I have on after all :D