Should I bother with CCENT with no experience?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by HalfPastJohn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
    Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)

Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (including: SSID, BSS, ESS)

Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point

Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)

Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks

This is in the CCENT.

I understand Network+ is aimed at networking theory. Anything related to Network+ is irrelevant to my original point - that the CCNA certifies theoretical knowledge. What the Network+ does or doesn't cover, or who it is aimed at, is irrelevant to my original point.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Shouldn't someone know the theory behind the wider picture before conecntrating on the theory that relates to one particular make?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. danielno8

Can you explain what the theory behind the wider picture is? With actual examples?

In my own experience, and that is that the CCENT/CCNA syllabus has given me all the theoretical knowledge required to be in a network engineer position supporting a network consisting of Nortel LAN switches, Cisco LAN switches, Cisco routers, Juniper routers. Of course on top of the CCNA syllabus, i have needed to study the implementation of the SAME network theory on the devices. But i do not need to re-learn the theory behind how a network actually works.

4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Since when is Cisco not using industry standards?

Sure, the practice you get is Cisco IOS and there are some proprietary options but most of the theory can relate to every other vendor's implementation too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  5. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Networking theory in covered amply within the CCENT/CCNA syllabus from the ground up. Your example of subnetting is included in both exams.

6. greenbrucelee

What about POE? does cisco discuss that? because as far as I was aware cisco didn't do POE they have their own version which is a bit different.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If that is all you can come up with GBL, you're clutching at straws :argue

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. greenbrucelee

It was the first thing that popped into my head, still a valid question isn't it? :x

9. danielno8

This is "the theory behind the wider picture before conecntrating on the theory that relates to one particular make" you were speaking about? If so, no.

10. greenbrucelee

Well it was only really a question but if cisco doesn't discuss it shouldn't they? since cisco apparently covers all the basics that the N+ does. Even if they dont do POE it should still be in the topics taught. Thats why the N+ is a good foundation because it doesn't say when your a network tech you will use cisco kit who knows you might use dlink which use POE.

11. danielno8

If you want to believe the theory behind PoE is of relevence then fine. I disagree.

I also never said CCNA covered EVERYTHING the network+ covered (i have pointed out several times i can't actually find the full list of exam topics for network+). What i am saying, is the CCNA covers basic network theory (from cable types/pinouts through OSI and TCP/IP models/subnetting through to routing protocols etc), and as such it is foolish to suggest the CCNA isn't certifying the theory of these topics (which was what was said way back at the start.

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm pretty sure that repping isn't meant to be used to high five each other just because they agree with you on a thread. It seems to be getting more common, have noticed this on other threads also (and I don't mean just you danielno8 )

As for the rest of this thread .... my head hurts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. danielno8

That's fine, haven't looked out the rep rules, so mods can remove the points if they deem it necessary.

14. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Repped.

You gota stopping beating up GBL he is pretty much out on the floor stone cold you killed him with those verbal jabs.

Certifications: A few.
  15. greenbrucelee

:blink I am doing fine.

16. greenbrucelee

Then the network+ should be done first then and I actually posted what is covered anyway I am now bored of this topic.

17. danielno8

In case someone escapes into the IT industry without knowledge of the inner workings of PoE?

I am also bored and think my point has been made. But don't tail off and try and end the conversation with a sweeping unjustified statement that network+ should be done before someone sits the CCNA based on something like PoE being missing from CCNA.

18. greenbrucelee

I am not tailing off at all. When I learn a subject I want to know everything even if some of what I learn will never be used. If something is in the subject matter then it worth knowing and it's worth learning. Anyway thats my last comment because I cant be arsed anymore.

19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

he said this and I said that and
    Quite entertaining for a nano-second and this thread have proved what, totally nothing. If it wasn't that fact that I've just caught up with this thread I would have closed it before this point.

Thread closed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong