Should I apply for a job even though they want experience?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 7, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Here is the job spec

IT field systems/support engineer

The successful candidate willl deal wth all aspects of domain administration and Microsoft Exchange 2003 managment.

1: previous experience is essential with an excellent knowledge of Microsoft server environments as a minimum requirement.
    2:Educated to HND level or above
    3:MCP/MSCE cert would be an advantage
    4:Excellent interpersonal skills with clients and as a team member
    5:Flexibility and an eye for detail are essentila

The job states it is willing to train the successfull candidate to further your skills

Should I apply even though I can only say I have points 2,4,5 that are required for the job?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Robster

Robster New Member

Sure why not, after all they can only say no.

Also its worth considering, do you think you'd be able to do the job.

3. greenbrucelee

I reckon I could do the job with proper training, I could put in my covering letter I am doing A+ at the mo the N+ then onto the MSCE that will maybe help my application.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Go for it, like Robster said, what's the worse they can do?

Remember companies with always advertise for the best spec person in their adverts, but this isn't what they always go for though.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Robster

Robster New Member

Incidentally, what pay are they offering? That's usually a good indication of the overall skill level required.

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd say go for it, but make sure you would feel comfortable on the job, when they say previous experience is required, they would expect you to know alot already. The training they offer I very much doubt will be from ground up, because if it was they would not have experience as a requirement, and it would drop down to an entry level job.

All I would say is be honest on the interview, and if they do employ you, then they are fully aware of your knowledge and capabilities!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I agree. Go for it, but be aware that they are asking for experience you dont have, and are asking for it as a minimum. If you do get to interview, as nXplosi says be totally honest with them. Let them know what your experience and knowledge covers. You can always give yourself a bit of a boost by stating something along the lines of being able to research an answer and not just relying on someone else to give it to you. Employers love people who are able to go and get the answers for themselves. Sure it might be slower, but it shows drive and intelligence - someone they can let loose with anything.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. greenbrucelee

it does not state pay it just says excellent pay and benefits

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

greenbrucelee,

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." - Sun Tsu

With that said, I'd call the company's general phone number then try to find out the real deal with the job. Real deal such as:
    1. Why is this job being posted?
    2. Which site is this job going to be at?
    3. Who is the hiring manager's name?
    4. What's the name of the department?
    5. How is the department associated with the overall organization?
    6. Whatever questions you'd like answered before you feel comfortable applying?

May your next battle add to your victory count. :)

Source:
    1. Art of War by SunTsu[SunZi]-English Hypertext - http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

there's so many IT jobs out there but so many applicants so anything you think you can do or have even half a chance of doing apply for it. i'm considering a job change soon and have seen about 12 jobs that i might apply for.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  11. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate, I have the art war by SubTsu have had it in text for many years

I think will apply although I fear I may not even be asked for interview.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Definitely apply for it... like others have said, the worst they can say is "No". :) What else can they do, try to take your birthday away? :D

According to what the job posting says for #3, certification would be an advantage. That doesn't mean certification is a requirement.

As a side note, I would hope that the misspelling of "MCSE" as "MSCE" is NOT in their job posting, and that you accidentally mistyped it yourself... I'm not so sure that I'd want to go to work for an IT group that didn't know the difference between an MCSE and an MSCE. :p

As others have stated, be honest about your skills... don't try to make yourself out as something you are not. If they ask if you know about a technology, but you don't, say so. If they ask if you have used a technology in a real-world environment, but you haven't, tell them where you have used it (lab environment, home, school, wherever). Good interviewers can spot a "poser" from a mile away... and bad interviewers... well, let's just say that a bad interviewer who doesn't know the difference between a good tech and a bad tech in an interview may likely not know the difference between a good tech and a bad tech in the workplace... not necessarily someone you'd want to work for.

Bottom line is this: if YOU are the most qualified and attractive option to the employer, YOU will be hired. But if someone comes in with more experience than you, they will likely be more attractive to the employer. Does that mean you shouldn't try? Of course you should... because even if others are more attractive, but they are too expensive for the employer to afford, YOU will still be hired (provided you are willing to accept the wages they offer).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. greenbrucelee

Cheers BM I did miss-spell it

I am going to apply and hope for the best thats all I can do. :D

14. Robster

Robster New Member

Some general advice for you:

Its a competitive market, you can't afford to be so hesitant or you will have a hard time landing a job. I would apply for any job you can find where you meet half the requirements.

Hope this helps

15. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i wouldnt worry about rejection you'll get it not matter how good you are. just carpet your CV over the internet and agencies will contact you as well. if you apply for enough youre bound to get one.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  16. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

GBL

The short answer your question is YES - definitely.

You never know what exactly a company is looking for or the quality of the candidates against you. I once applied for a job in an insurance company as a customer services clerk but instead they offered me a better paid and more responsible job simply because they had failed to find someone suitably experienced and I had some decent qualifications.

I am in a similar position to you in that I am trying to break in to IT as a career, although I am now working towards the Network+. I apply for jobs purely in the hope that I will be selected for an interview - if I can get my foot in the door it proves to me that I am heading in the right direction. I am also certain that as I gain more experience and qualifications, an IT job will eventually come.

Also, think on the fact that if you do get an interview but do not get offered the job, the interview experience itself could well be an invaluable experience later on.

Hope that helps

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  17. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate for the advice :D

18. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I agree, go for it, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Fortune favors the brave :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  19. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

I got my job even though it asked for skills and experience above what I had (Desktop Support engineer asking for experience and MCP certified. I had no experience and just passed my A+).

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST