Should a service desk be classified as IT? *long read*

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ninjadeathcult, Mar 19, 2011.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, if your basic job is to log the calls and then pass them to the next relevant level then maybe it's about time you started doing that. You say that all your colleagues also feel the same way which is even better. It will take a concerted effort from all of you to just take the calls and pass them on and it might be a few weeks before you get any feedback. The plan is to swamp the departments that are 'IT' with calls that are for an IT department and thereby get recognition for what you do when they realise how much work you prevent them from having.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

In my opinion yes you should be classified as IT but as some of the guys have pointed out a company has the right to classify your department as anything they want to really. On your CV though it shouldn't matter as you are still classed as IT due to the work you do. As for the pay rise then that will be down to company internal politics and might be the reason your not classified as IT.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

yes it appears to be about saving £££'s, which I am not happy about, Yes we have more service desk agents than admin.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
  5. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

Thanks for all your replies some really useful info there.

I am going to try to challenge this (in a polite way) at my work and see how far I get. If I was to take a guess I believe the reason they don't classify us as IT is becouse the description of our role will probably not mention andything about the application support, troubleshooting and software fixing that we are expected to do.

Anyone with any tips on challenging this in a polite way would be appreciated :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST