Shoot down my CV.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 1/4, Jan 17, 2011.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Well, I'm sitting my essentials exam soon and looking to gear up to finish of the A+ - I am wary of putting A+ or "I am currently studying my A+" on the CV as a qualification as it always reads like arse to me.

Being proactive i'm applying for entry level roles as is and seeing what (if anything) turns up. I'm not expecting people to have my hand off but you've got to be in it to win it afterall! One thing I think is missing is an idea as to where I would like to be heading after the A+ and what I see myself doing in 2-3-4-5 years; however I would have thought that more appropriate at the interview stage.

So - please tear the CV apart limb from limb, I would rather you be honest and give me a leg up than be nice about it.

Cheers guys.

1/4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Right. Not too bad for a start to be honest with you.

I'll just write what I feel as I go through.

First, why would anybody wanting to work in IT use Times New Roman font. IT is modern. Times New Roman isn't.
    "information technology" sector should be "Information Technology" sector. IT! IT! not "it". :D

"Looking for a company to commit to that is interested in a long term work relationship, developing existing IT support skills with an ongoing emphasis on professional development."

You what? I might be a foreigner but I don't think it's correct English. Get rid of the whole lot and write something about you, not about your future employer. Also I don't think mentioning long term relationship is right as you might not like it and be gone in 3 months. What then? Employer was looking for long-term relationship (read "slavery with no payrise") but you weren't happy with it.

Personal attributes could be worded better but the content is there. "Strong administrative skills for accurate record keeping." - you mean "Attention to detail"? And "Get it done work ethic" = "Can do attitude". There are more fancy words you could use there like "highly motivated" and so on.

To be honest though this is the area of the CV where I would expect to see lots of keywords. I want to see which versions of Windows you're able to work with, which versions of Office, any customer service skills, telephone skills. That's what I want to see.

Employment history - wall of text, didn't read. Literally. So can't comment on the content. Make it bullet points so I can quickly see what you've been doing.

Doh, empty page in the middle. It doesn't look like you have attention to detail. That is a detail!

Education - hardly interesting section for me but I'll have a look. Bold out the dates (but be consistent across the CV - if you bold date ranges do it everywhere) for easier reading.

Last section is fine. Take the non-smoker off. It doesn't matter. You're not allowed to smoke on premises anyway and change the title to "Additional Information" is it fits better imho.

Generally not too bad but some work is required. No offence meant at any point. Just reviewing CV as I always do. Formatting could be greatly improved to make it tidy.

My comments are mine and by no means are the right way of doing things. (This is especially re Times New Roman font. I'm sure there is plenty of great CV's written in Times New Roman) :D

You can check out the format of my CV here:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread41462.html

Good luck!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Is non-smoking classed as a skill or an ability?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Luke - you're a legend for giving me feedback - after editing the f***er 500 times you end up with a numb face and need fresh eyes on it.

Anyone else wanna chuck some feedback? No? Well if you do and it's something I can use I'll paypal you the going rate for a pint of ale - this is afterall recruitment consultancy!

I'm not sure what to do about the smoking lark; I know employers in the past have been pissed off with people constantly nipping outside for a fag break and generally being cheeky with it.

1/4

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Both. It's a skill not to start smoking in the Army, Uni, etc. But it's the ability to give up later on. :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Just wondering but why did you leave out the title of your degree course as well as left the classification out?

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics