Sharing your Twitter ID with employers?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, Jan 11, 2012.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I notice on jobsite.co.uk there is an option to share your Twitter ID with potential employers. Has anyone done this and has it helped in any way to secure a role?

I fail to see how allowing Employers view your 'tweets' to your friends can help in any way.. HR spend enough time on Google to 'dish the dirt' on potential employees anyway. What do you think?

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

My twitter account is on my personal business card so I wouldn't have any issues giving out, its also listed in my Linked in page, if your scared of what a perspective employer would find on your timeline then make it private, problem solved ;)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Has it helped to secure a role though?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Mine is publically available if people want to find it, I also mention that I blog and it's also linked from my blog.

As long as you remember that any potential employers can read what you write and act accordingly then you're going to be ok, if on the other hand you launch off a tirade against practices in your current place of work don't be surprised if it comes back and bites you in the arse (seen that happen before and the consequences didn't work in favour of the poster).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Well I know it doesn't stop people from offering me jobs because I do get a few mail/calls via linkedin and you can read my twitter account from there, nothing interesting of course or I would have moved already :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If it's only Tweets to your friends, then I don't see any reason to include it. If you post regularly about relevant stuff to the job, then perhaps it's worth including.

7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I'm believing more and more that it's best to have a clear work/personal divide. Which for me means not disclosing any Blog or personal website, Facebook pages, twitter accounts, as well as not disclosing to them any hobbies or interests you may have, relationship status, the lot. Keep it all to yourself and give them minimal information. That way they can't use anything against you and colleagues can't stab you in the back (happened to me before).

Say for example I went for a job at CNET and had a technology blog that was well regarded, I would disclose this if I believed it would support my application.

My next employers' are just going to know me as 'the quiet one' who gets on with his work.

8. satz

satz Bit Poster

Yeh its a sensitive area with social information on the internet. I would agree with disarm and have a work and personal divide. Everybody has opinions and sometimes you have banter with your mates which may seem inappropriate to an potential employer and its out side work but they may not see it that way. So i suggest having a professionall account and a personal account. Saves you getting judged the wrong way.