Sharing files/folders on Windows XP.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lord Deckard, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Got to admit, this has confused me.

Came home and logged onto my PC (password protected) to see an error about copying a file across the home network and the destination folder on the other computer open on my desktop. I'm confused because the folder the file was being copied from isn't and has never been shared.

How is it possible to access a folder, that to all intents and purposes, *shouldn't* be available to anyone but me?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

you sure no one else at home knows your password?

3. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Fairly confident as I change it on a regular basis (force of habit from work) and the only other person in the house is my wife. Full virus/adware scans carried out weekly (or more often when I'm feeling paranoid) so I know there's nothing malicious on there either. T'is perplexing, as I say.

Probably should have thought of this sooner, but how would you check log on attempts on XP pro?

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i would of thought local security policy or maybe event viewer.

5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

*me shuffles off to grab a book to look these up*

6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Perhaps you left SFS (Simple File Sharing) on? This overrides the permissions benefit of using NTFS. Using SFS voids any use of ACL's on a windows machine.

As to the logon attempts, it has to be enabled first.

Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy

then, expand LocalPolicies and click on AuditPolicy.

Right click, and enable whatever you like....

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

SFS was enabled (took care of that and will be looking into permissions more later) but the folder wasn't shared. Even the option to share it was unavailable, get the message that it is in a folder marked as private (My Documents folder).

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

the C drive is shared by default as C$ an admin share. The same goes for any drive. These are hidden shares, hence the $ sign at the end. So it is possible to access all files and folders remotely if you have local admin rights (username and password).

Try this..

Run \\remotecomputername\C$ and you will be prompted for username and password, then bang you are in!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I tried this, and although it works reguardless of file sharing, Windows Firewall does put a block to it.

The strange thing i noticed (perhaps Windows security?) was when remoting from one machine the username was greyed out as guest. I was curious as to why the difference, but as far as i could see, the configuration was the same.

Whilst using another machine (two machines with a crossover) i could enter any username.

And yes, admin gets you straight into the C partition. :eek:

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT