Sharing a Printer

Discussion in 'Networks' started by MattW, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this one. As I am doing the A+ I thought I would set myself up with a wireless network at home which I have done successfully and both computers connect wirelessly to the internet just fine - I have a wireless router with modem, desktop with a printer attached via USB and a laptop.

Basically I want to be able to print from the laptop via the wireless network. On the desktop I have set up the printer to be shared via the printer properties sharing tab but when I try to find the shared printer on the laptop I can't see it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated as its driving me nuts !

thanks
    Matt

Certifications: None - YET !
    WIP: A+
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Make sure the desktop and laptop are part of the same workgroup. I think you then need to create the same user account on the laptop and on the desktop. So if you log on as Matt on the laptop, create an account called Matt on the desktop.

Then on the desktop give the account Matt permissions to print in the print properties dialog.

Hope that helps 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

I have already set the workgroups the same but is this only for XP professional as I am running XP home ?

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If you're using XP home you will only be able to use a WORKGROUP.

Have you gpt the same account on both machines? The username and password need to match on both machines.

5. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

yes they are set up the same on both computers

6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

On the laptop open Windows explorer, in the address bar type:

\\name of desktop

Does the laptop see the desktop and any shared folders in Windows explorer?

If no, can you ping the desktop from the laptop using the IP address and the UNC name?

Do you have a firewall on both pc's? Make sure allow Windows file and print sharing is enabled on both pcs.

7. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Ok will try all that

Many thanks for your help

8. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi, if your printer is connected to your desktop via USB, make sure you have the desktop turned on, you do need to be part of the same workgroup only and not have the same account on both computers, but the laptop needs admin rights. This is how I set up my home network.
    From your laptop go to my computer, then click on my network places then click on view workgroup computers, you should see all computers on the network, click on your desktop icon and it will show all shared files and resources e.g. printers, double click the printer and it load onto the laptop, but to use it from your laptop your desktop must be on

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  9. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

All i did was share my printer and then went to my laptop and went add printer. Then a dialogue box will come up and you say network printer then it will ask you its location and name all you do is use your desktops unc for example \\desktop\printer's unc and it will prompt you for an admin username and password on the desktop just enter that and it should work. Also check your firewall settings as mentioned above.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  10. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Thanks for all your help. I've finally sorted it - I had to install a couple of additional network protocols then it worked fine.

Thanks again
    Matt