Sharing a connection?!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Jellyman_4eva, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi

Just a question for someone to answer!!

The scenario is:

Broadband connection goes to one house. Next door neighbour would like to use the broadband connection also. Me being happily willing to share this (he does a lot of favours) am worried about keeping it secure.

At the moment I use ICS and a 3com wireless access point to share the Internet to my 2 wireless laptops and I reguarly share data between them..

Is there any sort of network setup where I can share the connection without allowing him to even see my PC's....?! I will get a router if necessary...!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Think you would be better off and safer getting a wireless router, esp as your using ICS your main PC will need to be switched on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Jelly,

Never played with ICS really but I would definately get a wireless router. If you are prepared to spend a little more than the "normal" ones then you will have more control like locking it to your Neighbours MAC address of his known computer so he doesn't add another few and rob all your bandwidth. :D
    If your ISP has capped your data transfer you might want to offer him service but limit his connection to the "twighlight" hours. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not sure how this is going to work. First off, if you can afford it, get a small Ethernet switch and do away with ICS. Connect your broadband device to the switch. That why you can connect two or more PCs and a wireless AP to the switch. Then lock down your computers so only the default "shared documents" folders are visible and make sure you don't put anything in there that you don't want your neighbor to see. Also, make sure all of your computers are password protected.

Your neighbor should "see" your computers since they are on the same subnet, but if he tried to access one, he's have to know the username and password to access any of the shares.

Remember, in order for your neighbor to hit the Internet, it will have to get a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server on your broadband device. It's about the simpliest set up you can create that would still protect your computers.

I suppose you could set up a separate AP on the switch with its own SSID for your neighbor and point the gateway to the broadband device's IP addy. That would keep him off your separate wireless network.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Something to try (this worked for me):

Perhaps Wireless Router..

about seeing computers....

- Change your computers' workgroup name (something other than MSHOME or WORKGROUP which most people use as defaults)

If you use Norton Internet Security or similar (cheaper alternative to hardware firewalls):
    - If your set firewall to block in/outbound ICMP and in/outbound netbios EXCEPT your home networking trusted zone (defined by computer name...)...that way your neighbour can't ping you or attempt to resolve your computer names...

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just a thought but you might be able to set up a DMZ (de-militarized zone) in your router. This is basically a different subnet that is separate from your internal network. You could configure your neighbours computer to be in that DMZ subnet.

Packets are not routed between the DMZ and the local LAN for security reasons.

Check out your routers manual.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)