shares

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Aug 5, 2010.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I noticed a brief chat on shares today (zeb et all), I've always fancied a go so I've signed myself up to iii. So to start with I am only going to be putting the odd 10-20 quid into it every month so anyone got any tips on who to stick the money on. I guess as zeb says that its a good idea to stick money into companies when they have had a bit of a faux pas but are not in any risk of going under. Also I guess manybe when companies are about to release a new product that may be well received.

Any other tips etc.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Borders and Southern Petroleum (BOR.L) may still be a good bet. Last I checked they were around 70 odd pence a share. They are one of the companies exploring for oil round the Falklands. Rumour has it they've got a good chance and are waiting for an exploration rig to start drilling. I expect the price to rise just on the anouncement that they've signed a contract to use the rig then up again once they find something.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Hiya mate, 10-20 quid won't be enough, you have to pay around a tenner per transaction as well as stamp duty so your 20 quid will be less than 10 as soon as you press the buy button.

GCM Resources is worth a look, currently involved in a coal mining project in Bangladesh. It has not got approval from the government yet but when it does it will fly. Price is about 206 at the moment, ive been in a various points from 30p onwards but took some profit when they hit 290.

UEN - Oil and gas exploration in Russia, loads of oil reserves. Were in a bit of trouble last year but sold some assets and now the company looks better.

MXP - Another oily. Lots of drilling planned in a decent prospect, approx once a month, if they hit anything then will also rocket.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

This is something I'm also very interested in doing. Any forums or sites that are useful for people taking their first steps?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

This is an excellent book to get you started, give you the basics and tell you what to look out for. Before I bought any books I jumped in, started listening to the wild rampers on the forums and soon got burned.
    There are plenty of other books out there for short term trading, day trading, being able to spot patterns in charts but start with that one.

6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Ordered from Amazon. Should be something to read on the flight

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I bought shares in Lloyds and Barclays after the banking crisis when the shares went rock bottom. I also plan on buying shares in Sage and would of bought BP shares if I had the money now. You can buy shares from as little as £1.50 (I think it's that price) if your with Halifax as they buy in bulk twice a month if you don't mind waiting.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Thing about energy shares is that they are (like all shares, duh!) complicated. If you're into low-risk investment, for my money the only 'sure things' are companies that get mullered through a natural disaster, or some sort of cataclysmic event - because, unless they completely go to the wall, in the long run you will ALWAYS make money. BP was an excellent opportunity - as were the banks a couple of years ago. Because of the stupidity of the AppleMasses, Apple are also worth looking at if you get wind of a new iPhone/iPad/iTool release a couple of months before it takes place.

Conversely, I would say that investing in companies undertaking exploratory drilling in virgin fields is a much bigger risk. These companies only ever have a finite amount of capital behind them, but the shares get talked up like they're a sure thing. No one knows anything about the viability of the fields in the South Atlantic - what happens if the companies drilling there find that it isn't viable because they're too unstable, not accessible or if they DO manage to extract, it's crap or inconsistent quality? Having the drilling rights in an area where there's no proof a viable operation can ever take place in the long term is pointless!

If I were looking at a real long-term energy opportunity right now I'd consider Shale gas fields in the UK. At the moment it isn't commercially viable here, but sooner or later it will be - and the ability of the energy companies to increase their locally-sourced supplies instead of having to pipe them in from Russia is extremely attractive. I need to be convinced of it's long-term success before putting money into it, but if I think it will end up in large-scale production in the UK I'll be all over it like a rash.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

ordered my kindle for android copy and its downloading now. Ok so I see that I may need to save up a bit to make it worth my while. I'll have a read of the book and see where we go from there.

I do seem to remember there were sites that let you practice trading a few years ago without using real green, I might have a look round for something like that as well.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Just to add, the shares I mentioned above are medium to high risk incase anybody thought it was a sure thing!
    However, all have a massive upside and after following all 3 for a couple of years now with a fair bit of research my recommendation remains.

Doing your own research being one of the most important aspects of share dealing, if you follow the crowds and the spikes chances are you'll buy near the top and get stuck with them when the price starts falling.

11. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Anyone take a look at this? Up 40% today :D