Sharepoint

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Fanatical, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Hi guys

As part of my on going job my compnay is expanding into more MS products and I've put myself forward to do Sharepoint as a starting point (i really want to learn something new as the product I'm supporting now is a little on the dull and annoying side). What exams would be best to take? I've vaguely hinted that given that I've done my MCDST I could do the MCSA with an elective in sharepoint and take the sharepoint exam first and just work on the tother two mandatory exams as I go along. However it's been over a year since I last touched anything sharepoinbt related so I'm feeling rusty and worried about jumping in straight off. Is there a sort of pre 70-630 exam to get myself back up to speed do you know?

Any and all advice is warmly welcomed.:biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find ken will have some good pointers for you :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Actually, the SharePoint family is composed of two products: Windows SharePoint Services(70-631) and SharePoint Portal Server/MOSS (70-630).
    The difference here is that Windows SharePoint Services is the basic "engine" that provides document management and collaboration features, whereas SharePoint Portal Server adds additional portal functionality that is useful to larger organizations. Windows SharePoint Services is a free download that can be added to a Windows Server 2003 server, whereas SharePoint Portal Server 2003 must be purchased and licensed as a separate product.

Also understand that WSS is said to be a "stripped" down version of MOSS which means the MOSS has more functions or features than the WSS. :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with the exam :)

Apart from the 70-631, I can honesty say that the knowledge gained from the underlining exams for Windows 2k/2k3/2k8 helped. I would say do the 70-290 & the 70-291 first of all, then do the 70-630 to finish off the MCSA. But that's just my opinion.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Just a quick question (because the MS website seems a little vague) I have done my MCDST so do I still need to do an elective exam or will passing the 290 and 291 be all I need to be MCSA? Just because if that was the case I'd try and do those first and then do both sharepoint exams after.

6. Kitkatninja

No, if you already have the MCDST, then that will count as the elective towards the MCSA.

There are 4 parts to the MCSA:

Client Exam: 70-210 (2k), 70-270 (XP), 70-620 (Vista) and I believe the 70-680 (Win7) will also be accepted but it's not on the website just yet :)

Server Exam: 70-290 (2k3)

Networking Exam: 70-291

Elective Exam: This could include the MCDST or the Sharepoint exams

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

The red bit is the point that confuzzled me. Isn't that saying if you've got the MCDST then you've already got the credit AND elective credit having passed the 270 and 271? :blink

8. Kitkatninja

The MCDST is made up of the following 2 exams: 70-271 & 70-272, this covers the elective.

The 70-270 is not part of the MCDST, but it does cover the client exam for the MCSA.

The 70-270 and the exams that make up the MCDST are different.

-Ken

9. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Just a mix up on my part there then.