Sharepoint problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by anto6ik7, Sep 8, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I wonder if someone could give me a useful advice.

I am doing a placement year. So at work we are using the sharepoint. I have started recently and the previous guy on a placement install sharepoint without me. I am not very familiar with sharepoint. Therefore I am reading books and researching the web about it. I can do everything what i need on a site that this guy created. However, I cant do anything in central administration. I mean when i try to perform any operation and i press ok to accept it the sharepoint will not do anything. It does not give the error message or anything. It keeps the current open page without any changes. Does anyone have any ideas about that? I really appreciate any help.

I forgot to say that the sharepoint is installed on server 2008 64 bit OS as well as the sharepoint itself is 64 bit application.

Thank you very much,

Antons

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Anything in the event logs?

Also are you making the changes on the actual server itself? If so the security settings in IE may be causing an issue here.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi Sparky,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think the internet explorer could be the problem as i was using remote desktop to go to server and to use the central administration of sharepoint.

I will check tomorrow morning if it was the causing the problem.

Thanks,

Antons

4. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,

I tried to access the central administration in sharepoint form my own computer. However, i could not do it. It says internet explorer could not display the page. Does anyone have an idea what I need to configure on a server to be able to contact the central administration from any machine. As i can go to the server directly and I have access to the central administration.

Thank you.

5. Sparky

What URL did you use? I think you may have to specify a port to get into Sharepoint Admin.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

i did this. I typed my url and the port number. It looks like this http:/mysharepoint:23455.

Do you have anymore ideas?

Thank you very much:)

7. Sparky

Have you tried by IP address? Your PC might be having problems resolving the name of your Sharepoint server.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

sure it's not https?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP