Sharepoint Licensing needs..

Discussion in 'Software' started by garyb, May 19, 2008.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    We are looking into using Sharepoint to base our exisiting websites and intranet on. Before going through the process I thought I would check pricing and requirements but its seems very complicated, does anyone actually know what I would need based on below.

Internally we would have 40 staffmembers accessing Intranet
    Externally we would have 200 clients hitting websites/doing transactions etc.

From what I have seen we would need a server licence [£30,000] for external users & internal license for staff intranet which seems strange, not too mention out of our price league!

Any clarification would be appreciated.

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Gary

that price seems a little high to me. I looked into it for my company for about the same amount of internal users and the prices that I was quoted for server license and cals was around CHF 15K (swiss francs) which is around £8K or so. I don't know if you need a different license or cals for the external users but this would be a little extreme even for MS.

The requirements are that you need server 2003 or 2008. New hardware with a lot of disk space, RAM and fast processors would also be an advantage.

For licensing queries you might get some useful info from here

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/mla/default.aspx.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Actually, just thinking about it you could probably get away with using the sharepoint services for what you want.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. strayduck9

strayduck9 Bit Poster

Wouldn't you need server cal's for internal users and the external connecter license (£2k i think) for the externals?