sharepoint certification

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mridu_kr, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mridu_kr

mridu_kr Bit Poster

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting certified in sharepoint 2003/MOSS 2007. Could you suggest possible certifications and reference material. It will be of great help.

Thanks,
    Mridula.

2. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Free SP2 training:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/CH011424561033.aspx

Free SP3 training:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA102488011033.aspx

Free O2K7 training:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/FX100485361033.aspx?pid=CL100605171033

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone use SharePoint at work? We are probably going to bring it in at the end of the year with Office 2007, no one I work with has really used SharePoint yet, have you guys got any feedback on it?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Here's a few Sharepoint exams from Microsoft: 70-631, 70-542, 70-630, and 70-542 just to name a few.

I kinda work with Sharepoint, but not that indepth at the moment as I just don't have the time, as schools have to have a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) by next year, and the majority of them are based on Sharepoint. It's a nice and powerful tool.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

We use Sharepoint, and now WSS at work all the time, all the work that is "shared" across the departments are hosted on it - the SANs that host it are huge!!

The biggest trouble we had was getting people to be more collaborative on their work, and to rid them of the mindset "it's my work, and I'll store it in my own folder". Most people have accepted the change, but there are quite a few teams that still produce peoples own areas within WSS that are used exactly the same as the single-user-drive mode.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The research I have done on SharePoint (only an hour or so to get an overview) gives me the impression there is no other application that has come before it that works in the same way. I think it will completely change the way people work, but will probably be a monster to get setup, although its likely it will continue to evolve as users migrate their work over to it. What’s the day to day administration like?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Er Lotus Notes probably most famous forerunner ? Collaboration and Knowledge management are not new fields and Microsoft didn't invent them, sure Microsofts done a very good job with Sharepoint, but lets not create another 'The Road Ahead' where we credit Microsoft with the invention of everything... :rolleyes:

Lotus Notes Took me less than 60 seconds 'research'... for more current stuff ever heard or Documentum, Drupal or Joomla ? Hell even this site is a prime example of collaborative software...

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

We do little of the admin side within my team so I can't answer that.
    The setup of permissions (which is left up to a nominated person within each department) is pretty straight forward, helping the users out with their average everyday questions is pretty straight forward - one thing that took me a couple of attempts to get my head around was how to acces it. You can via:
    1) http in IE
    2) as a network drive
    3) via My Network Places

Each of those have their own quirks, but once you get an understanding how they work and what issues they cause, its pretty straight forward

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

We use it alright, mainly for storing documentation also to keep track of ongoing issues. Fairly easy to use (it's intuitive enough so you pick it up fairly quickly) and giving people access isn't to difficult. We were given a bare bones site and a book on sharepoint and within a half day we had some relatively presentable and then spent the next 3 months changing colours based on the feedback of various managers (same as any site/app design).

Overall it's fairly good, and easy enough to learn the basics. Haven't been let near the server tho and no idea how hard the initial configuration is, but the little i've read it looks like it could be a bit tough.

HTH

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design