Sharepoint 2010 / SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'Software' started by Apexes, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Have no idea about SQL... need help

I've installed a sharepoint server, at a directors request, however - he wants the database hosted on the E: partition, rather than the local C: partition (Reasons i won't go into right now)

Anyone have any idea's how i'd go about doing that, and changing any relevant references for the databases within sharepoint?

edit: also - if documents are uploaded, anyone know if they're stored in a certain directory on the server?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

When you install SQL, which should be installed before sharepoint... you can do a custom install and pick the E partition. I've done it with my SQL 2008/Sharepoint 2010 test environment.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Regardless of where SQL Server is installed and running from you can configure where the actual database files go.

Sharepoints not my thing but I'd expect it to take some config about how to connect to SQL Server as Admin and possibly it creates its own database while logged in as admin. SQL comes with a default directory but you don't have to stick your datafiles there, you can specify the location as a parameter on the CREATE DATABASE command, you can also detach and re-attach to move existing DB's also. Often you will have to re-create/re-map existing user logins when doing this.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yup, that's what i'm after - but just unsure of how to switch these across within sql/sp2010 and update the relevant config files

SQL was installed before sharepoint - it runs absolutely fine, and i can use it - but for backup purposes i need the SQL database to be on the E: drive

2010 Looks quite nifty, might setup my own test site on it to have a play round with it and get familiar

5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

In SQL Server management studio each database can be right clicked on, select 'properties' from context menu. Then select 'files' page from menu.

This will tell you the path to the DB files, unfortunately you can't move attached DB files, you have to detach and reattach or specify the right location on creation.

Sharepoint should be using a connection string, as such this is a logical DB identifier and possibly a set of credentials, there will be no reference to physical drive paths, therefore there should be no need to change this as long as the SQL instance name, DB name and the credentials are still correct.

7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Awesome. thanks guys - i'll run through this tomorrow

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

That edit makes me look as if I just resuggested what you typed, tsk tsk :p

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

To be fair I mentioned Detach/Re-attach in my first post. I'm on wi-fi in a hotel so tend to commit my posts and then edit to save losing stuff. I then corrected minor details to do with grammar and spelling and also to ensure what I said makes most sense. Your post is recorded at least 8 minutes later, so I'm pretty sure 95% of my post would have been complete by that point, so you would have at least typed it at the same time, if not later.

I only added the word 're-map' on my final edit as there are multiple levels to the login setup on SQL server, instance and database level and also the role mapping.

I try to make posts make most sense even if it requires a late edit as it will be here for perpetuity to help others, however I also realise the flow and integrity of the thread needs to not be compromised, in these cases I would add additional posts.

In anycase as long as the poster gets the help they need who cares. :biggrin

It's common to ship example database files sometimes and just re-attach and re-set up the logins in development, I've done this several times, I tend to just use the management studio rather than a query window and SQL commands as in your knowledgebase article.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Didn't realize SQL was already installed...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

LOL! it was only a bit of jest but it was only a one liner when I posted mine :D