shared internet connection help

Discussion in 'Networks' started by shaggy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

ok ive got a PC and a laptop, previously had them both networked and sharing everything fine

computer was broke for a while, now all fixed and just setting up some things, i get to making the network again and it wont share the internet at all

when i put the XP disk in the laptop it detects that there is a shared internet connection already there but it wont connect to any webpages or anything

ive turned off zonealarm and the windows firewall on both machines, allowed the modem to be shared etc

been trawling google for ages, done winsock fixes, still nothing

any thing im blatently missing?

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

never mind, its all of a sudden working, even though all i did was close down the forums

i hate computers

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Maybe the wrong profession then ? :biggrin

What errors did you get ? Maybe your browser had just crashed ? If you have a really old OS like 98 there were alot of bugs in the TCP/IP driver.
    What happened if you did ipconfig ?
    Are you using a USB modem and then two NICs ? or
    do you have a hub and a modem or just a router ? Hows it set up ?
    Are you using DHCP or are you using static IPs ?
    Could you ping the machine with the ISP connection ?
    I guess the drivers for connection and printer sharing are correctly installed from your description.
    Sometimes the SOHO modems/routers crash, they require rebooting.
    Did you reboot the PC with the issue, this would have also renewed the TCP/IP stack ?
    Maybe it was just a DNS issue if you just can't locate servers pages ?

Finally I'd clear your cache and scan for malware if your browsers acting funny and you can't figure it out.

Sure theres a load of other possible explanations i've missed, its all good practice if you want to be in IT...

4. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

Rather than using the Internet Connection Sharing wizard, just select the two Network interfaces, right click, and select 'Bridge these connections'..

Unless you're using a USB modem, of course..

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN