Shall I go for (2009 Edition) or 2007 edition N+ Exam

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Vips_02, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

hi everyone
    I have just booked a CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) Exam N10004
    but just noticed the books I have Mike Miers and Exam cram are both for Exam N10003 2005 exams?
    Shall I change it to 2007 edition exam or shall I just sit for the 2009 edition exam assuming wont be a much of differnce?
    I am confused as the exam is 1 week ahead?
    I have already studies the Mike miers Book and going through with the Exam Cam book now?
    Does it make a diffenrce if I go with the 2007 format or the 2009 format ..in terms of propects..?
    Please help..i am very confused because i want to revise now rather than starting from scratch again for 2009 edition..should I rather change it to 2007 edition by rinign the prometric centre?

Thanks guys !
    Vip

Certifications: Comptia N+,MCTS Vista,ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There is a difference between the 2007 & the 2009 version, otherwise there'd be no point in the revision of the exam. As you've already been studying for the 2007, do that one. Provided that you pass the exam before the cut of date which is in July, that should be ok :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

Thanks Ken!
    I would go for the 2007 then!
    Also I won't mind postponing it to few weeks from now for the 2009 instead if its any better in terms of prospects?
    I don't mind delaying it for a better cetifications in case interviewrs prefer 2009 certification?????:rolleyes:

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Go for the 2007 one :)
    That is what I'm learning to do now.

If you did postpone you would likely have to read/buy the new book, since I think a lot of stuff will change. A podcast with Mike Meyers sounds like it's going to be heavily based on TCP/IP rather than the older technologies.

I was tempted to wait for the 2009 version, simply because it would have been more up to date, but I can't wait for the new books to come out.

5. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

Thanks guys for the quick reply I will ring prometric and change it to 2007 edition and start my final preps!!
    Thanks once again!

6. digital7

digital7 New Member

So when or are there 2009 books available to study?

Certifications: A+, MCSE 2000
    WIP: Network+, VCP
  7. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

The publishers and Amazon US say 21st May 2009 but Amazon UK say 30th April 2009. Other UK online bookstores say 1st June 2009.

I'd say that the publishers and Amazon US are correct, so 21st May 2009.

WIP: A+
  8. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

hi guys thanks for all your advice I passed first attempt with a decent score!
    So just wanted to say thanks.!!
    I gave the 2007 edition exam!

9. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Congrats! Great news.

How long have you been studying for. I want to do N+ but don't want to wait until May to get the new material to make sure I know whats on the exam. If I could study it and pass before the deadline I think that would be the way to go. If that isnt going to work I might just do the LPI-1 before the N+.

Congrats again. I passed A+ today so we probably both share the smug/happy/relieved feeling!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats

The pass score goes up for the revised exam, I am gonna try and have it done by July

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Same here ^^ aiming for end of March. It would have taken me three months to pass it if I do get around to booking it :)

12. TwoToneTony

TwoToneTony Bit Poster

Hmm, I'm raring to go hot on the heels of passing the A+ and don't want to waste any time, so after reading this thread I think I'll not dally and just pick up some 2007 version source material. If I lose my momentum now I don't know when I'd pick it up again :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA?
  13. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

Thanks Mate!!I studie for about a month using Mike Meiers and Certification plus books plus vairons free online exams from the web..Also had about a year experience in the same..!!now I have started preparing for MCTS (MS Vista) to give in april 1st week..hoping to pass it!...hehe..all the best everyone,...and thaks for all ur advice!!!
    Cheers
    Vip

14. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Oh good , because i am going back to do that one at the end of 2009 having covered a lot about TCP/IP from other certs. However, I do enjoy learning about other older technologies I find it interesting.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  15. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

if I take the 2007 exam, wont employers think its kinda crappy since there is a 2009 versian? it will look like my cert is waay out of date teh day after i pass :P

Certifications: A+ N+
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

employers wont know if you have done the revised version or not. I took the N+ today and it had things like NetBUI in it which apparently isn't in the new version as it is a bit outdated. As CompTIA certs are for life there could be be people getting jobs who have the A+ and N+ from years ago it doesn't make any difference as most likley those people who have studied those certs will have been keeping up with the new advancements since their certification time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, networking has changed dramatically since 2007. :rolleyes: :twisted:

To be truthful, most employers don't even know there are different versions of the Network+ exam. Take the 2007 version with confidence.

EDIT: Would you think I'm less knowledgeable because I took the 2005 version of the Network+, or because I took the 2003 version of the A+? To the contrary, it makes me look like I've "been around longer".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

o thats good - cos i thought i read somewhere else on these forums that recently people have passed comptia A+ and N+ exams and teh certificate they get said "valid until aug" or something - basically until the newest revision

Certifications: A+ N+
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No; that version of the exam may be good until August, but the certification itself is good for life - once certified, always certified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Vips_02

Vips_02 Bit Poster

You might be right but then you would have to wait till the books arrived and you get the reviews for the exam..Employer will appriciate that you are N+ certified and would appriciate if u go prepared with the knowledge of 2009 edition and impress them.!!
    I think more resources and sample tests are available for 2007 than 2009 so you have a lot more to practice and review than for the 2009 edition..All the best mate!!