shall i do mcdst or mcitp MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by 2036789, Sep 7, 2010.

1. 2036789

2036789 Bit Poster

i finished my it degree 2 years ago and have managed to nail a job upto now, so now im looking to get some certification to get myself an entry level job possibly helpdesk my question is should i do mcdst now that windows 7 has come out mcitp edst 7 as i assume most business are going to start use windows 7 or shall i do mcdst and then do the upgrade exam 70-682 as then i have best of both worlds

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would do the MCDST and then the upgrade. There are still a huge number of companies out there using Windows XP and there will be for quite some time.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dont asume that just because windows 7 is out that everyone uses it. Many business still use XP and will still use XP even after MS stop supporting it in 2014 just like many businesses will still use server 2003 for years to come.

I know many business that still use server 2000 and windows 2000/xp and have no plans to upgrade.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would do MCDST and upgrade it later on. As pointed out a lot of companies will use XP for the foreseeable future. I've just done a rollout of XP on new PC's and laptops so looks like XP is here to stay for a few years yet.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. simon01

simon01 New Member

I'd say do the MCDST then do the upgrade exam, it's always useful to have additional skills to show to an employer.:)

Certifications: CSSN
    WIP: MCDST, Server +, ITIL
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just remember to get both MCDST exams done before they retire next year. 8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

this is the route im doing once i have got the A+ done.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  8. Matt28LFC

Matt28LFC New Member

Didn't realise these were being retired next year, do you know when next year?

Im planning to do MCDST after i've finished my N+ (No LifeTime After New Year) hope i'll have the time to get it done.

Thanks.

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally would do both, you will benefit from doing both.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I think March.

11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Both! MCDST and the upgrade!
    I did this Vista (before win7 certs were available) would love to do Win7 also but dont really need desktop certs once you surpass that level!

12. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

is the mcdst being retired next year and if so when ? anybody advise what to take after getting a plus and mcdst as i do not really want to take the network plus exam ! any comments would be appreciated.

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The MCDST is being retired as of 31st March next year. As far as what to do once you've got the MCDST, if you haven't already got one go out and grab that first IT role, if you're already working get some exposure to the tech you want to move on to and cert on it once you do.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

timewise i am going to struggle to get both mcdst exams fitted in. is it worth getting just the 70-271 for an mcp or should i leave the mcdst altogether and then what exam next ?

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista