1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up server 03 for a mess around

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 9, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, Ive installed server 03 virtually and downloaded and installed updates. I installed dhcp, AD,DNS Domain Controller, not to sure how to be honest but it was through a wizard that done them all at the same time. My question is if my domain controller is called dave-297c67f33a.smallbusiness.local on the windows xp pc do I go into my computer click join domain and write this into it? Because when I do it says it cannot locate the domain controller. Any help appreciated. Sorry if it's not detailed but I'm a beginner :oops:

thanks,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to make sure the DNS of the client PC is pointing the DC.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. beaumontdvd

Yay!
    Done it, thanks alot Sparky! Makes everything so much clearer when you actually have a play about. Repped

Dave

4. beaumontdvd

Another quick question whats the difference between domain controller security policy and domain security policy. I tried creating a user in AD but the user didnt meet password requirements so I fiddled about :twisted: and then changed domain controller security policy so that meet password requirements is disabled. Also the password length I changed to 0. But i still had the error about not meeting password requirements. So I found that there is a domin scurity policy and change the minimum password length to 0 there.

And ran gpupdate /force (I was quite proud of myself) lol

But my question is whats the difference and why wouldn't one update?

Regards,

Dave

5. Sparky

The domain controller policy only applys to domain controllers, this is to increase security. A basic example of this is that a domain user will not be able to log onto a DC.

For what you want to do here with the password requirements you need to do the same thing but change the default domain policy.

6. beaumontdvd

That makes sense! Cheers mate, getting the hang of it all now, just set quota limits for a few users to see how it works 8) I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
    Dave

7. Sparky

No probs mate. :thumbleft