Setting Up & Configuring Alarms in vCenter 5 Part 1

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Aug 12, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

vCenter has some great inbuilt alarms which can trigger alerts via email or SNMP to the IT administratror. I have seen quite a few environments, where alarms haven't been configured! The obvious question is, is this due to lack of knowledge or do the administrators really check every item manually within vSphere? My guess is the earlier.

With this in mind, I thought I would go over the basic settings and then also what alarms/alerts I generally put in place along with some rational over the triggers.

The first thing we have to do is configure vCentre to send out email and SNMP alerts. Go to Home > vCenter Servers Settings or to Top Menu Bar > Administration > vCenter Server Settings

Select Mail from the left hand side and enter your SMTP Server details. Note that VMware does not support email authentication, so if you are using an Exchange 2003/2007/2010 I recommend you create a new receive connector called 'vmware'.

Read More here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5