setting up and unbuntu linux server suing 8.04

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by twizzle, Sep 30, 2009.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Can anyone point me to good clear guides on trying to setup an unbuntu 8.04 server? a friend wants to learn how to do this for his home setup. It needs to be able to access his other pcs and teh web, maybe even be a web server and dmz if possible.
    I know there a few guides on teh web, but the ones he needs need to be very clear, aimed at beginners etc. He's good a picking things up, just so long as thier clear. (also the clearer the better as it stops him asking me questions i cant answer!)

On a side note, is 8.04 best for this or is there a newer version of unbuntu thats better?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm not a linux person, but 9.04 is the latest version, so I guess there are big improvements in that over 8.04.

Found this: Ubuntu for beginners: How to install Ubuntu server 9.04

It's Step by Step with pictures, so I guess that would suit needs, plus on the side of that page you have other related subjects.

Hope that helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Ken, showed him the beginners guide to 9.04 and seemed happy with that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security