Setting up a new business

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by datarunner, May 4, 2008.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

i was thinking of setting up my own business supplying IT services to local businesses etc. When i say IT services i mean things like server / client installs as well as networking services.

i wanted to gather as much info as possible on this especially from people who have done this or are involved in this.

my fear is that this might already be a "saturated" market or a very difficult market to crack.

i ran my own online business for years selling PCs etc online so i have a good knowledge of websites, SEO etc and learned to my cost about the various types of online / offline advertising.

i understand that when dealing with businesses etc there are things like SLA's, downtime, response time etc to deal with and i wanted to know how people went about this.

so really im just looking to see if this is a viable idea

any comments greatly appreciated

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It is a saturated market and there is allot of competition for every new customer we try and get. Small IT companies are always around and also the ‘one man band’ companies that are cheap however just cant offer the standard of server in comparison to the smaller IT companies as they don’t have the resources available.

Rewarding work but it will take up almost all of your time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Been there done that! (since i was 16 part-time, full time since 22)

In 2006 i had several MCSE's working for me.

Years ago you were laughing, today its tough .. very tough!!!!

Lets say I have descided to move on.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots