Setting up a medium sized network at home!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Node, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Virtualisation is the ULTIMATE tech killer app! and is fast becoming the ultimate enterprise killer app to boot!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Node

Node Byte Poster

Right about time im slowly getting there!!!!
    So far i have the following OS running on this server (P4 3Ghz Dual Core, 2GB DDR2 PC5300)
    Vista Ultimate x64 (Core OS)
    VM -Windows XP Pro (20GB pre allocated HDD)
    VM - Server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2 (25GB pre allocated HDD)

now i need to get working on my other machine :)

The spec of it is AMD 64 2.00 GHZ Sempron, 1.5GB DDR2 PC5300

The core os will be Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, it will also run XP and another server 2003 hopefully it can handle it, will be back later on today with an update!

Thanks for all the help.

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Am sure the above would be more than enough for lab setup. So how is your VMWare Server or VM workstation coming on? I take it you opted for the VMWare workstation 6.0 ACE. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Node

Node Byte Poster

having issues with VMware at the moment, its not picking up the dvd drive in the vm's so im having to do everything via iso

5. Node

Node Byte Poster

Update
    ---

At the moment its going well, just carrying out security updates on Server 2K3 and windows xp, as soon as their finished and i have DNS, DHCP and AD setup ill start to rebuild my secound machine, then ill have to start making an anti-virus server (centralised). Lets see how things go :) Still having issues with VMware not detecting the CD drive though, well it detects it as a CD-ROM rather then a DVD it wont read any CD's which are init, so im having to do everything by making images, which just makes the process more tiring and longer.

6. Node

Node Byte Poster

hi again, ok due to serious problems with vista ultimate x64 i had to reformat and start from scratch, installed server 2003 and XP on VM for 3rd time!!! But im facing another issue at the moment, i cant seem to be able to browse the internet using does to vm's. I have checked the DNS settings, and have checked the settings in IE, i can ping perfectly, i have flushed my dns, not sure on what else to do... any clues?

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think you might want to be a little bit more specific as I belief you're trying to browse the internet via one of your vm's? If this is the case be aware that server 2003 is very security conscious and hence would only allow a web page that has been added to the allowed sites. Check the internet explorer tools menu and under security and sites with web sites you approved off are entered.

Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  8. Node

Node Byte Poster

hehehe yeh im trying to browse the web via my two vm's, yes im aware that server 2003 is very security conscious when wanting to browse the net, i have added google.com to the safe list, but still cant seem to get it to work. Same goes with XP :( cant browse either, im actually very confused to why! All my other machines can its just these two VM's. I do have two network cards no my server, but one of them is not active, besides i cant see that being a problme due to me being able to ping.

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Now we're getting to finding a solution, how are the two vm's setup? Are they hooked up a vm that's acting as a domain controller or are they separate installs of vm's individually. If they are separate then try adding them to a domain that has AD setup and see if this works.

Remember AD works, breath and lives on DNS. Cheerio:)

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

On the vm that is causing the problem...

Command line.

>nslookup
    >www.google.co.uk

does it resolve ok? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Node

Node Byte Poster

Im currently at work but as soon as i get home i will try nslookup and then will go for the secound solutions, by installing DNS and AD, but i dont see why i should install DNS and AD to fix this issue, the problem should be elsewhere, im very curious why this has occured!

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You don't necessarily have to setup DNS and or AD in this case, but make sure the static ip address on each vm has your routers default gateway ip address and not blank.

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You dont have to setup DNS or make the server a domain controller. You probably want to get the server to browse the internet before you add any roles to it.

I take it you are giving the server a static IP? If so make sure the default gateway is your router and DNS either is the IP address of your router or a 'real world' DNS server.

Not sure if your router will forward DNS requests to a published DNS server so as I have already said you can try a real world DNS server.

If that still doesnt work, try pinging the default gateway just to be make sure there are no connectivity issues. Also try and ping the published DNS server.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs