Setting up a lab for learning - W2003, problems

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by algorithm&blues, Aug 30, 2011.

1. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I'm in the process of trying to set up a virtual lab of some sorts so I get some experience of working with Server 2003 from the ground up. All my previous experience has been in an environment already set up.

I've so far installed Server 2003 and I'm attempting to create some Virtual Machines to run within that.

However I'm having extreme problems in getting any of these machines to talk to each other, regardless of what VMbox/Virtual PC/VMWare network settings I use.

I would like to, if possible, not have to resort to using another machine as a client machine.

How has everyone else gone about this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

It all depends on the virtualisation software you are using some of the free ones Virtual PC, VMWare etc are only standalone machines meaning you would eithr need to have two virtual machines running and how them connected via two ethernet ports or use a software package like VMWare Workstation which allows you to have a logical switch between your virtual machines (saves on cables and NICs).

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
    algorithm&blues likes this.
  3. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

Thanks! I'll try that.

4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

My advice would be get and buy VMware Workstation. I know recently you can get them cheap from Ebay I saw I browsed the other week but keep a lookout for a bargain as there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Just read back through it and my grammer is shocking lol

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I use VMWare workstation and this does the job well - up to 4 server/workstations running.

I have to admit it did take some time to get my head around how to set it up - I did it by trial and error but I suppose they'll be guides on how to do it on the vmware website somewhere.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293