Setting up a Home Domain Based Network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by PompeyFC, Jul 27, 2007.

1. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

ok will change that

my connection specific suffix is mshome.net ?

nslookup from my desktop reports the correct virgin media's dns servers

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, 70-270, 70-290, Network+
    WIP: Windows 7
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

192.168.0.5 is fine for the server, if your router is on 192.168.0.1 then that should be the gateway address on both the server and in DHCP.

127.0.0.1 is the local host address, which is a special address. The server will see it as 192.168.0.5 so either is fine there (on the NIC's TCP/IP settings). In the DHCP scope make sure you are giving out 192.168.0.5 as the DNS address.

As for your workstations getting 0.2 and 0.3.

It could be an old lease or something, from the command line on each workstation, type in

ipconfig /release

I would also delete any leases on the DHCP server itself, then manually renew on each workstation

ipconfig /renew.

If you still get an IP address below 10, then your scope is setup wrong, or maybe you have setup a reservation to one of the workstations Mac address. But you would probably remember doing that. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

yep did IPCONFIG release and renew and I have still been given an address of 192.168.0.2

I am still getting the cannot find network when trying to join the domain

when you say DHCP scope should be handing out 192.168.0.5 for DNS - do you mean that I should be creating reservations ?

the scope deffo says 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254

its also says this when opening DHCP :-

server01.mshome.net[192.168.0.10]
    --Scope[192.168.0.0]scope1

elsewhere is says this :-

Scope options says 003 Router 192.168.0.1 which is its ip addy
    it also says 006 DNS 192.168.0.5 which is the name of the server

I can tracert from the client to the server with no problem by name and IP addy so why do i get network not found error ?

4. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

ahh hang on a mo - if I try pinging server01 i get this

ping server01 [192.168.0.10] with 32 bytes of data - its says request timed out

if I ping the servers ip addy 192.168.0.5 its fine

the only lease the server says it has given out is 192.168.0.10

so the name resolution for server01 / ip addy is incorrect is that right ?

5. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

not sure what I have done now

Because server01 was thinking it was 192.168.0.10 I removed the DHCP server and set up another one - when pinging server01 now it pings the correct IP Addy - 192.168.0.5

however, the other 2 PC's now can't ping out. they can ping the server and the gateway but no further than that

the server when entering nslookup says can't find server name address for 192.168.0.5

the other 2 pc's on release renew also are still not being assigned the right scope within 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.254

they are still being given 192.168.0.2 and 3 respectively ?!?!?

6. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

****SORRY LAST POST ! This Should make More Sense****

Right I un-installed the DHCP server service and re-installed it, I then set a scope of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

I set 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5 as reserved.

I set 192.168.0.1 as my router and 192.168.0.5 as DNS

now things are beginning to make more sense

I released both laptop and desktop ip addy's, then re-newed them !

Brilliant they have been assigned 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.7 respectively.

Excellent because when I look in DHCP at address leases I can now see these 2 leases and even better it knows who they are because it shows their names aswell, Desktop and Laptop

Excellent I think so I goto add them to the domain. Network error again !

How can that be - they can ping server01 and its address, they can ping the router also. DHCP knows they are there by name

So why can they not see the domain ? :rolleyes:

dcdiag reports that no adapter has been setup to be the default on server01 (DHCP on BINL)

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm, sounds to me like you need to remove the DC role and start again. It's possible that the settings you had on one of your NIC's were not right when you initially setup the DC+DNS.

Remove all roles and make sure the 2nd NIC (the one not being used) is disabled. (right click it when looking at network connections, and pick disable). Then double check that all your TCP/IP settings are as they should be on the main NIC that you are going to use. ie. IP: 192.168.0.5, GW: 192.168.0.1, DNS: 192.168.0.5 (or 127.0.0.1).

Then start again and re-add the DC& DNS role. Finally, re-add DHCP. (You can backup the DHCP configuration btw, so try that if you don't want to re-configure it yet again, then restore it after re-adding DHCP as a role.). The backup and restore options can be found within the DHCP MMC.

That hopefully should do the trick. If it doesn't, then I'm a bit stumped.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you run nslookup on the clients do you get the server name? If you do not do you get the IP of the server?

If you just get the IP address of the server then it looks like the DNS is pointing at the server (which it should be) but there is no reverse look up zone on the DNS server.

When you originally ran dcpromo (or added the domain controller role) did you also install DNS on the same server, this is recommended in the setup wizard.

I think having the two network cards, then reconfiguring them after the DC role was added may have caused some problems.
    As Modey has suggested it will be probably be quicker to start over with the IP addresses in the network card configured correctly. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok, it's all good advice so far, but you need to understand one thing clearly.. For Active Directory to work at all it *needs* a properly configured *internal* DNS server that the *clients* must be configured to use as their primary DNS server. Forget your ISP's DNS for now because they are on the Internet and have no records for your internal boxes, especially the domain controller. So, whilst doing this you will lose Internet connectivity for a while on all boxes.

So, why do you need DNS and why does it appear to be resolving host names.

The DNS in Active Directory is more than just resolving host names.. sure it does have standard A records and PTR records like most Internet based name servers *but* it also has SRV records. It is these SRV records that tell the client which services/roles are being played by the computers on your local network. For example, in your situation, you are trying to join a client to a domain. Now, what should happen is that the client queries your internal DNS server which will return a result from it's SRV records which will point the client at the relevant Domain Controller. Clearly this is not happening, because either your clients are not configured to use your internal DNS server or the DNS server doesnt have properly configured SRV records.

The two NICs may well be confusing things.

Ok, once you have succesfully joined the clients to the domain you can worry about Internet access. For this to work, you should configure forwarders in the forwarders tab of the properties of your DNS server. In there put whatever DNS servers you prefer to use for *external* requests ie the Internet. You can use your ISP DNS servers for this or local universities or maybe your router, if it acts as a DNS proxy.

Basically *forwarders* ask external DNS servers to resolve DNS requests that your local DNS server is not authoritative for, meaning it doesnt have those records (internet URLs), so it phones a friend on the Internet and passes the results back to the client.

Bob's ur uncle, you have internal DNS functioning and you can access the Internet too!

Good luck :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

We said all that many moons ago Blue. Told him to forget the internet access etc.. and set the forwarders 'after' he got his clients joined without errors.

Doesn't hurt to hear it again though. :)

11. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

morning all

took your advice and re-built the server with only one network card in.

strangely this time when I chose typical installation for a first server it did not install Routing and RAS stuff just Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP

Problems again !

running dcdiag gives me no errors and netdiag gives me an error about wins which I don;t need to worry about as both pc's are xp pro i am assuming

I have manually configured the TCP/IP settings on a client and I can ping Server01 - so the clients can see the server but they cannot obtain an DHCP address from the server.

Any idea's on that one ?

regards and thanks again for your help :)

nslookup says it cannot find server for address 192.168.0.5, domain does not exist

if i type nslookup server01 it returns the ip address and if I type nslookup contoso.local it reports server not found then underneath reports thats it can find contoso.local...

stumped...

ediT NSLOOKUP now reports correct contoso.local and IP addy
    still get network not found when trying to add computer to domain
    do I need to tell the router anything ?