Setting Up A BlackBerry

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by B.HopeZion, Apr 8, 2012.

1. B.HopeZion

B.HopeZion Bit Poster

Hey Guys,

I recently got a bold 9700 from a family member. I've been thinking of purchasing a blackberry for a while and this will be good testing ground to help me make my mind up on purchasing a new handset.

I've reset (wiped out) everything from before.

I'm now slowly trying to set the phone up. Texts messages are working and so are calls. I'm very stuck on the internet and e-mails.

I don't have an internet connection through my sim but I am regularly on wi-fi. To my surprise when I try to access any website whilst on wi-fi I am told 'Data services are disabled...'

When I try to connect to e-mails I am asking for an 'enterprise account' with no option of another account.

I've searched online but no success.

What's happening?

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

*Moved to Internet, Connectivity and Communications forum*

Dunno mate, iPhone here. IS there no option in the setting to force wifi or disable mobile networks?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. B.HopeZion

B.HopeZion Bit Poster

Sorry to have place the thread in the wrong place.

And I do have to admit my Iphone is alot easier than this! I can see why people would end up stuck setting up the blackberry.

There's a connection management screen, highlighting the Mobile Network and Wifi. Even when I have highlighted the wi-fi it still doesn't allow me to access appworld nor emails nor browser.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

All Blackberry data communications are routed via Blackberry servers (for encryption).

I don't think you can use it without Blackberry tariff.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

This is correct. You'll need a BIS or BES account to get online.

drum_dude likes this.
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I'm surprised you can't browse the web through your home broadband connection.

As said you will need a BIS\BES tariff to use email - BIS in this case would be the best option.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  7. stalemate

stalemate Bit Poster

Your device is apparently provisionned for a BES (corporate account), so you have 2 options.

1. Request to have the BIS service instead so you can manage the account(s) yourself, online or through the device.
    2. Set up a BlackBerry Enterprise Server and gain some interesting experience. There is a free version available called the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express - if you have Exchange or Domino already set up somewhere.

Be careful of BlackBerrys which were deployed in a corporate environment in a past life, as often the security policies were not removed prior to retiring the device, and a security wipe will not remove them. You may be stuck with limitations like mandatory passwords (length, complexity, retention, etc) or even blocked web access. Removing these without accessing the BES they were set up with is a chore. There's a reason BBerrys are touted as the most secure corporate platform. :blink

One last tip: install the latest device software for the device, as it may contain new / updated apps and will have fixes for known issues. For the 9700, you'll probably have version 6.0.0.x available.

EDIT: I couldn't post links to the actual pages where the files are available, so you'll have to track them down yourself I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Certifications: A+, MobileIron
    WIP: MCSE: Messaging