Setting DNS in Active Directory problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by michael78, Oct 24, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys does anyone know of a way to automatically setup users DNS settings through Active Directory on a Windows 2000 domain. At the momment I've setup user accounts and put them into Organisational Units depending on what they do. I've created a template to modify permissions etc but there isn't anything to do with DNS setup. Can this be done or do I need to go around everyone's PC and manually change their DNS settings. We use Static IP's and DNS etc (Managers stupid idea :x ) I thought there might be a way to override these settings through AD.

Any help much appreciated...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

not possible with a gpo. but you can use a gpo to run a script on the client machines. here's a sample script to enable dhcp: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/client/modify/nwmovb05.mspx
    then you let your dhcp server take care of the dns settings.

[edit] or if you want to keep static addresses, and want only dns settings to be changed, then take a look at some of the other scripts. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/client/modify/default.mspx
    also look at gpo\computer configuration\administrative templates\network\dns client for some options.

3. michael78

Cheers D-Faktor I had a sneeky feeling that was going to be the case. For some reason my manager wants static addresses which I find hard to understand. oh well looks like I'll have to get off my arse and change them...:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

static IP... yikes... good luck.. I've been there in the past and its a nightmare to administer. As for DNS, I think a script is the way to go alright, unless you want to add the address at the same time as you add the other IP info.

Out of curiousity - why does your manager want to do this ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. michael78

The simple answer is he's a clueless idiot with no idea how to run an IT section. Hence why I'm looking for another job...:rolleyes:

6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

fair enough :D

Don't say that at yer job interviews though.. tell 'em you learned a lot from your previous position (i.e. how NOT to do things!!!) and feel the time is now right to move on !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP