Setting/changing the system time in bash (fedora 3)

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Pete01, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Anyone know how to change the system time on a Fedora 3 box using a bash shell? the version of bash is:

GNU bash, version 3.00.14(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)

I'm connecting using WinSCP and have lost my VNC connection, can't reboot the machine any time soon so that's not an option.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Found this:

http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Another update -

There's a file - etc/ntp/ntpservers that I can modify and put in the address of the time server I want to use.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You can *set* the time with the date command. On some platforms you can also cause the time to drift with the date command. This is useful if you don't want discontinuities in logging and similar apps.

Depending on your versions, ntpd will work fine as long as 1) You use a good ntp server not too far away, and 2) the current date and time on the box aren't too far out.

Traditionaly on boot ntpdate was run first to get the clock close enough for ntpd to work. Whether this is required for your box will be shown in the man page for ntpd.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+