set background wallpaper to be the same across the network

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by iffizin, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I created a new GPO named wallpaper and attached it to the OU that contains the user and the computer.

Just thought I'd mention the setup: My server is attached to my wireless router via ethernet cable and the client computer is on a virtual machine using VMWare. Because you mentioned a DNS I thought I'd just tell you.

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How is the DNS configured? Does your virtual PC have the I.P of your DC for DNS?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Kraven, is your VM *host* machine using a wireless NIC?

If so, that is probably the problem.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Kraven,

For the purposes of training I would keep your domain outside your *working* network. This way, you can let the domain controller do it's job for DHCP and DNS.

This is what I have done for now at home.

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I think I'll do that boyce. I'll buy myself a cheap switch and then as you said let the DC do its job. Thanks guys for your input.

Thanks
    Kraven

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just for the record, and so that you know for subsequent MS exams, DHCP and DNS are not a domain controller's 'job' as such. A domain controller's job, is to host Active Directory, and hence manage Active Directory Users and Computers, specifically account management as a central place for user authentication. They also control Trusts with other domains and forests and they are in control of AD Sites and Services. Any AD function such as group policy, publishing resources like printers, shares etc is the job of the DC. There are many other jobs which a DC can do like the Global Catalog and the FSMO roles but they are all specific to the functioning of Active Directory.

Microsoft's best practices dictate that you should not run other services like DHCP on a domain controller, this is because DHCP servers can be compromised, the same goes for any non AD integrated DNS servers, keeping those things on dedicated boxes improves security and allows the DC to keep it's resources focused on what it's real job is.

Of course with SBS Microsoft break all their own rules and put all the eggs in one basket :biggrin

7. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Ah thanks for the info blue, however I already knew that DNS and DHCP were seperate from the DC, but I was going to use them on the same server just because I havent got the room to have other servers.

Thanks
    Kraven

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is fine for your home lab Kraven, good luck with it!