Services

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Anywhere know of a good place for an oil change? Only joking!

MS Press;

When a service is disabled, you cannot start the service manually, and applications or other services cannot start the service programmatically.

I take it this means when a service has been disabled by the Operating system, because i have disabled and re-started a service myself.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey Boyce, from what I understand you want to know what MS Press means exactly by that phrase? if so from what I understand it means that once you disable a service you cannot start it, the only way you can start it is by either setting to manual or automatic.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Prof,

That is what i thought from the text, but i can do just that. :blink

Si

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Boyce,

I doubt in that case that you disabled it. Are you sure you didn't just stop it?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sorry guy's i misunderstood the sentence;

I can disable and restart a service myself that is currently running, but cannot start a service that is already marked as disabled.

Si

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

This is typical MS Speak.

Basically, what they're trying to get at is there are two states a service can be in: Started and Stopped (we won't go into 'Starting' and 'Stopping' as we could be here all night).

There are three parameters for a service's startup type: Automatic , Manual and Disabled.

Whilst a service is in 'Disabled' state, without manually going in and setting its startup type to 'Automatic' or 'Manual', you can't start the service using a command line (eg Net Start 'XXXService'), nor can a program start the service if it needs to. This can come in very handy - when troubleshooting spyware for instance - but be warned - there are plenty of ways round this - lots of known exploits have used them in the past to either disable the 'Disabled' option or con you into thinking the service has stopped when it hasn't really.

There - clear as mud!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zeb,

Thanks for the translation of MS's version- it makes sense. :)

Si

8. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

Great explanation there zebulebu thanks :thumbleft micrsoft can really be a pain sometimes, I have never felt Comfortable with any Microsoft book and believe me I have got a few.man if only they spoke English :)

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with you guys, I mean sometimes I have to read a sentence over and over again to understand what they mean.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Hey guys, I was bored at college the other day and sussed the command line to enable a disabled service. we were trying to write a batch file to enable messenger quickly once we had RDP (remote desktop'ed) into the other students' systems.Worked fine.

sc config is what you need.

sc config messenger start=demand would start a disabled messenger service and set it to auto, from the command line.

then of course we used net start messenger which starts the messenger service....and began a bombardment of messages between all student pcs, total timewaster! :D

Certifications: MCSA & A+
    WIP: MCSE CCNA