1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server08 trial

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by orangepeeleo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but as it would help my training and development i thought i would post it here.

I'm looking to setup a virtual network soon and have been wondering, the 180 day trial period of Server2008, can you re-install it on a fresh vm or something once the trial period is up and get a fresh 180 days?? I would imagine not, doesn't seem like a good business plan for a product, but theres no harm in asking :)

If not, how much is it to buy a licence for server 2008, or 2003 for that matter as i guess it would be just as useful learning on there as it would be on 08 right??

I'm not sure if work has any spare licences but i really wanna get started on setting this up so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi OrangePeeleo,

This KB article may help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472 - you can re-arm an installation up to 240 days.

License costs for Server 2008 can be found here

You may want to consider purchasing (or trying to get your work to purchase) a technet subscription. This would allow you to evaluate for testing purposes a whole host of products from Microsoft - these do not have a time limit but cannot be used in a production environment. Perfect for testing :)

Thanks,
    Crazy Horse