Server??

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Jun 29, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    hope ya all ok!!
    My friend has offered me a cheap server. I have to admit to being a little aprehensive of them. Although i know i should start learning about them. I am pretty good at network basics, but for some reason when i hear server 2003, exchange server etc, my confidence drops!!!!
    Basically i would just like to set one up in my house and learn about it, so when i get offered the IT job of the century :eek: and they say what do you know about Servers, i will be able to get by!!
    Any help would be great, ie: best book, web tutorials blah blah.. I know you wont let me down...

Kat :D

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, I assume that your friend has offered you a piece of hardware called a "server". You can do all kinds of things on a server and best of all, if you muck up the thing, just blow it away and start from scratch.

What advice you will find useful will depend on what you want to do with it and what you want to learn first. Also, does it have an OS on it now and if so, which one? Will it suit your educational needs or do you have a reason to install a different OS?

There are all kinds of servers including File and Print servers, DNS servers, DHCP servers, E-mail servers, Web servers, FTP servers, and...and...and...the beat goes on.

When you say you want to learn about servers, what would you like to tackle first?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Bloody hell Trip, steady on!!!:eek:

Just a standard File & Print server i would have thought, the easiest one!!!!
    I think he said it had server 2003 standard on it?? not sure.
    Just want to learn about setting up, connections, ya just basic stuff!
    Kat

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

LOL. Sorry about that. A cheap server with a licensed version of Windows Server 2003 Standard. Sweet. Do you get the install disks along with it?

Keep in mind, a server isn't just the software. What hardware features does it have (i.e. dual processors, multiple SCSI drives, etc...)? What you can do with the software in part depends on the hardware it runs on.

Of course, you might want to pick up an easy-to-use, graphics driven, step-by-step text on the OS to start with. :oops:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764579223/qid=1120064248/202-0586341-2651038

5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

:D Hey Trip,
    ummm...., yeh told me about it yesterday. Think hes got two, ones a Dell Poweredge or something, cant recall if thats right, but he said that might be too big, so theres another smaller one not sure the brand. Think he said it had dual processors, SCSI etc, going to look at it next week, so i'll give you the specs!!
    Thanks Trip,
    Kat

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I know. :oops:

:biggrin

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Trip dearest!!

am i to assume i have been unashamedly coerced into buying a book to which you may have contributed???????????????????????????????????????? Answer Kat honestly now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kat

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Coerced? Certainly not. I just pointed you in the right direction. :tongue

All in good fun, of course. It was actually my first solo author venture. :wink:

10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

LOL..............

OK, pointed in the right direction, i'll let you have that one, JAMES!!!
    Hope iv spent wisely??????????????
    If ever im in Boise, you can sign it???
    Kat:D

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good G0d !!! He's sold another one !!! I don't believe the bare-faced cheek of Mr Wire45 :ohmy

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Not quite "bare-faced" at this point, Mr. Moko. My 5 o'clock shadow is just kicking in.

Kat, I'd be glad to sign it should you ever get out my way. :)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Smooth Trip, very smooth. :twisted:

Kat, you won't be disappointed by this book mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685