Server+

Discussion in 'Server+' started by JSH333, Jan 1, 2011.

1. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Hi all,

Server+ seems a bit dead in the water on here recently but regardless I'm thinking of looking into it.

Any advice on books? Also, is it a bit ambitious of a step up from A+, N+, Sec+, or does it follow on nicely?

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I think that among comptia certificates only A+, N+, Sec+ are popular on this forum

take a look here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/server/

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Server+ sits at the same level that the Network+ and Security+ sits at. It follows on nicely from the A+, like the Network+ follows on.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I am also having to study for the Server+ at the mo. The new job is really keen on people having it. Given that the 2005 version expired at the end of 2010, I have to take the 2009 version. No complaints about this other than there are precious little materials for this cert. All I have found was a book put out by CompTIA (which does not seem to be in stock anywhere for a decent price), a study guide in e-book format from PrepLogic and the CBT Nuggets. So that is what I will be using. Best of luck on your studies for the Server+.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  5. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

I'm amazed it isn't more popular really, it seems to go into quite a bit on non-network specific hardware which is one of the areas i'm most interested it, I really enjoyed A+ for this reason.

I guess it's not about if it's interesting, just if it's important to employers, sad really.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Yeah, I am with you on that one. I find the content of the Server+ very interesting as well, and a very good starting point before taking the vendor server exams. The silver lining on its lack of popularity is that is not one of the certs CompTIA have imposed expiration dates on, so it is still a lifetime cert (for the moment).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc