Server Self-DHCP Address allocation

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So did that make any sense?

I've got a server running as my DHCP server on the network. Previously I've set the server to use a static IP, but Id like it to obtain its IP dynamically from its own DHCP service. Is this possible?

Also, and linked to this, Ive set the dhcp server as follows:

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 Address Range
    192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.50 excluded address list

I've then assigned specific reservations for each device with a static IP (servers, etc) within the 1-50 range. Is this the right way to set this up?? or will this cause problems?

Can anyone recommend a good book to explain DNS and DHCP as a beginner, what the settings are and what they affect. What settings do, etc?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To save problems I would setup your DHCP server with a static I.P.

The 70-291 MCP covers DNS and DHCP so perhaps go for the MS Press book. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I agree with sparky, It's best to have your servers IP static. I get told that alot from a network admin I work with.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Fergal,

What kind of server are you using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Setting up a server to use dynamically assigned addresses is just asking for trouble... especially if it's a DHCP server. What happens when your computers attempt to renew a DHCP lease from the IP address that your DHCP server USED to have?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Fergal1982

well true, but i wasnt intending for the server to be able to obtain dynamic addresses, it would still use a fixed address, reserved in the DHCP server, so would get the same IP every time.

Im running server 2k3 on a standard desktop machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

My question is why?
    sure its possible
    no its not advised
    and to be fair it doesnt serve any purpose really
    some people will create the reservation in dhcp but use a static just for management reasons, but i cant imagine what reason there is to go about it that way mate!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Fergal1982

fair enough. I think putting a reservation is a good idea, since if you dont theres a risk that someone wont realise its in use and try to assign it to another machine.

Ill leave it as static.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Generally people will have a document listing all the in use IP addresses, static ranges, dynamic ranges, global addresses, dmz addresses, nat addresses etc
    theres a lot that goes into an IP design and reserving addresses in dhcp really doesnt help to manage that at a high level imho

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ferg, as the others have stated servers, especially DHCP servers should have static IP addresses.

Think of this scenario.. You have to re-start your DHCP server after an update, when the server gets to the point in it's boot up process when it is setting up it's network connections it will try and contact a DHCP server. The DHCP server service may not be running at this point and so it will give itself an APIPA address. This may sort itself out after the default five minutes but during that time the DHCP server will not be contactable by clients that are configured with a valid IP lease. So, things could go belly up.

The right way is to set up *exclusions* for servers ie a range that will never be dished out by the DHCP server.

Reservations are for things like printers that use DHCP but must always be leased the same address.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Apologies for bringing up this fairly old thread but I was just reading the 70-293 MS press book and it states that it is not possible to have a DHCP server with a dynamic I.P or assign an I.P to itself.

Looks like it isnt even an option after all......

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs